Saturday, July 14, 2007

Better day - Visit to Long Eaton - House Re-Viewer

While I was at Long Eaton the girls made bubbles and Picture 1 was one of the best. The instruments for creating them are much bigger than they used to be; hence bigger bubbles.

I was invited to visit their super bedrooms - Sky's has been redecorated and she has a wavy-edged wall mirror which looks much more exciting than a conventional rectangle. Brooke, in her room, has stayed with the original Victorian floorboards which look marvellous and also yielded a secret hiding place. A foot length piece lifts out, to create Brooke's 'stache'.

Not only did I download onto my laptop Sky's Snibston Park pictures but also 2 videos. The best of which (and I think it is first-rate) is behind the live link in the previous sentence. Broadband users may find it takes a minute to download, on Dial Up it might take longer.

Which reminds me to thank Madeline for her comment yesterday. Not only is it a pleasure to have her back but her erudition about McAfee is welcome. I certainly didn't know all those things, I just knew in general terms that it was 'a good thing' to have aboard. And I guess we are all fed up with the rain. Having said which, today has been better. Sunny mostly and when I got home I ventured into the garden, on the hunt for promising flowers.

And I found this butterfly which had settled on the petal of a clematis we have had for generations. I've no idea of its name but it ought to have 'robusta' tacked on the end because it arrives on schedule each year and climbs all over the place.

Anyway it isn't the flower but the butterfly which caught my attention. My Collins British Wildlife book, recommended by Manxislander and acquired from a charity-shop, is not too helpful. From their pictures I favour either the Small Heath or one of the versions of Skipper.

Perhaps a 'lepidopterist' could step forward please.

The Estate Agents rang my mobile while I was at LE to say that Mrs. Morley plus father-in-law would like to re-examine the bungalow at 4pm tomorrow. Y won't be here but I shall duly tidy-up, empty bins etc., and do my best to sell the place in her absence. Now, wouldn't that be nice.

Another lovely Postcard from Jill and Ro, still house-sitting for friends, in the New Forest and the card was of Kingston Lacy House, a Nat Trust property in Dorset, which looks well worth a visit. They will be back soon and perhaps a 'comment' telling us about it could be anticipated?

I may have discovered an alternative to my 'Quotations Page'. It is 'Quoteworld' and a persuasive factor is the coverage of Emerson, when of my favourite sources. In QP they have 99 quotes while QW have 181. It is also possible to put a 'link' to Quoteworld as a permanent feature of the blog. But I've rejected the idea - deciding on which quote to use is part of the fun. Ergo:-

"It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation."

-- Herman Melville

I'll go along with that Jimmy! Sorry - Herman ! 'Moby Dick' proved it for you at least. That fantastic opening line "Call me Ishmael". And for David's peace of mind, I did actually know all that - I didn't google for it. The actual first quote however, the bit about originality, was from my igoogle homepage.

In my first Penguin Quotation Dictionary, 10/6 - I have jotted down "John 28 waist, David 26 waist, 24 chest" so when that was I cannot hazard a guess !

An early night is called for. All that tidying up tomorrow. Bob forwarded me some stuff from Danny which included the quote "My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance". It wasn't attributed, but I like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Broadband seems incredibly slow this Sunday morning.
A bit like Ollerton Roundabout which, in my view, is not nearly as bad as some folk make out. But, then, I am not usually impatient – a two minute wait for the traffic to move is nothing in a lifetime.

Relevant news item from Saturday:
A children’s ‘clown’ entertainer has been forbidden under Health & Safety Regulations to use bubbles in his ‘act’ – lest children slip on them and hurt themselves. So, Long Eaton beware!.

Did you take the Snibston Park video?
I like it. A sort of cross between domino toppling and that thing with the electric wire loop. And obviously similarly enjoyed in a frustrating sort of way.
It downloaded with the approval of Firefox.

Isn’t Madeline clever?!!! Doesn’t she know a lot about that stuff which is of no interest to me? Now if Man U had signed McAfee from Celtic my ears would prick up. (All right, think there’s a clue in the question, if you like).
I simply cannot be bothered because simplicity is my god. I’m a ‘point and shoot’, Volkswagen Beetle, Staffordshire Bull Terrier man. I work on a ‘need to know basis’ and I don’t actually want to know much. I’ll stick to the easy stuff. But it is good to know that somebody out there knows (in case I ever do need it).

I think the clematis might be ‘jackmanii’ but I am certainly no expert.
As to the butterfly, not having scale doesn’t help (yes, I know it isn't a fish).
I went first to my 1972 edition of ‘The Reader’s Digest Book of the Road’ which is a superb production (far superior to the following year’s edition) with the best road maps I have ever come across although, of course, now hopelessly outdated except for the country lanes which are my preferred routes. Of its 31 butterflies and moths (with only the upper view of wings illustrated) yours could be perhaps one of 5 (including Small Heath and Skipper).
My ‘Pond and Stream Life’ didn’t he;p much (but it is definitely not a newt).
‘Woodland Life’ has over 100 varieties (some showing underwing) Could be one of several varieties with the name ‘Underwing’ (Copper, Large Yellow, Orange) but, again, no underwing view and the feelers suggest it is a butterfly rather than a moth anyway. Even White Admiral and several fritillaries come into the ‘possibles’ frame.
You’re right; you need a lepidopterist (or is that precious stones?)

The house news sounds the most promising yet. Good luck.

Jimmy Melville, hey? That’s a name from the past.
Or am I thinking of Mulville? Comic actor? Golfer? Singer with the Communards?

‘David 26 waist, 24 chest". Whenever it was he sounds a little chub!

After all the rain, Saturday was beautiful, which was good, because:
A couple of months ago I received an invitation for myself and gueat to attend a Notts county Council Garden Party at Rufford Abbey (‘in recognition if your outstanding contribution to the lives of people in your local community’, it said).
Although it wasn't an MBE, I felt properly recognised at last (assuming that my ‘Bungus View’ column of the last quarter century in the monthly community newspaper ‘Roundabout’ had earned me the honour). I accepted and last night Sandra and I duly got dolled up and attended.
We were greeted by our local County Councillor, who told me that the invitation had come from her and that it was intended for Sandra but she was confused about what name to use! Rapid deflation of stout columnist.
But it was an excellent innovative ‘do’; certain to be repeated next year.
A lovely warm sunny evening in the splendid surroundings of the Abbey Courtyard, with musical entertainment from the county schools' foot tapping Red Hot Swing Band and the world-beating girls’ choir champions Cantamus.
Apart from a licensed bar, delicious soft drinks (elderflower presse surprised and delighted Sandra and is well worth a try) and tea or (good) coffee were flowing freely and an extensive and imaginative buffet (bite-size cold Yorkshire puddings filled with chopped roast beef and horseradish cream were amazingly delicious) which never ran out.
A really enjoyably different two-and-a-half hours.

Apologies for outblogging the blogger but I DID miss a couple of days!

Anonymous said...

As if I hadn't already said enough, my favourites from the aphorisms forwarded by Danny are:

2. Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

4. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

27. There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

36. The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.