Friday, July 20, 2007

Art/Photographic Exhibition - And still it rains

I was 'on duty' at the Exhibition this morning and when we weren't too busy I took this panorama of about 95% of the paintings. There is another display board off-stage right but it wasn't possible to swizzle my monopod any further round because there was a door wedged open in the line of sight. Also there is a display board to the left of the desk. The photographs are on the centre boards leading from the front centre of the picture to the stage. I have some photographs of the photographs, but they need work.

All the visitors seemed to enjoy the pictures, and it is a good venue to display in because of the super lighting. However, the distance from the road and the town-centre means that there isn't much 'passing trade'. I apologise for the barrel-distortion in the panorama but it was almost inevitable and would need a more nimble 'photoshopper' than Radiogandy to get rid of it. As it is mostly the roof which is affected I don't think it matters too much. It has given the room a touch of the bowed timbers in Nelson's 'HMS Victory' . Go on, give it a click. I enjoyed the 'chats' and the feeling of being able to make some 'contribution' however slight and we both feel the same about the National Trust. The time passes quickly -not that that is necessarily a good thing at out age.. On Sunday, we have our 'digital open day' at Durban House and that also will be interesting. I hope I don't get asked too many difficult questions!

Our interested house-viewers have decided No. Apparently Mr, who wanted to haggle, was in favour but Mrs's sister who came along, disapproved of the proximity of the main road, and the footpath. Ah well. Good job we didn't get excited. Y went out in the garden this morning and knocked herself up just tidying. Then the rains came and prevented any further activity. It might prove necessary to uproot many of Y's treasured shrubs and trees, beds of things I've grown from seed like hollyhocks, lupins, echinacea etc., take down the trellis fence and turf a large area, to make the garden look more manageable. We shall see !

Today's quote sums up our lives in retirement I think :-

"Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing".

- Evan Esar

Only one picture today I'm afraid. The weather is so anti-photography and I do like my 'blog' pictures to be current and at least somehow connected to the day's activities. Reg had a good idea for a WOW trip this morning. Check out how Langold Lake has changed over the last 40 or so years. And if he reads this I've remembered the name of the village one could walk to through the woods. Dinnington ! More about Langold, Firbeck Pit, and miners will surely follow.

Just pratising ! - the way the weather is going we may all need too. Sleep tight. Catch you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Odd you should mention Durban House: we had a letter from David this morning advertising/inviting us to a couple of ‘dos’ next Thursday and Friday.
Both sound enjoyable but the ‘gasman cometh’ to fix a new boiler on those days, so we may have to say no.
The first one sounds good value; a 2 course meal and an open-air performance at Colliers’ Wood of ‘Twelfth Night’ by a respected touring company, all for £14 a head (or £8.50 without the Shakespeare).
Friday sounds even better (to me) although more pricey: a jazz singer and 3 course meal for £22.50. Both menus look good (the second one, as you would expect from the rice, more interesting and with more choices) and David’s cooking is invariably of a high standard.

I am sorry about the collapse of the prospective house sale. I didn’t know there was a footpath until a few months ago and as for being too near the road!!! Still, you can’t make them buy if aunty says “No”, can you? I bet she’s jealous; that’ll be it.

Despite the ‘anti-photography’ weather I managed to get one that I thought rather topically atmospheric; almost monochrome (perhaps worth looking at in b&w, or even sepia?)