Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Turned out Gorgeous - after Dodgy start


A seasonal picture. But not this year's and certainly not our garden wisteria but Hampton Court Palace's which we visited last May. My camera and 'clever clever Windows XP' tells me I took it on 11.05.2005 and even tells me the time I took it and the exposure and shutter speed. But I won't bore you..... "Why change the habits of a lifetime ?" I can hear Mrs. Radiogandy saying. The light wasn't brilliant and the result is just abit 'blocky' but we thought it was probably the best wisteria we'd ever seen. So full of flower !

Back to today. Not a promising start and chilly enough to justify the central-heating on for an hour around 7am by which time we were both up. There is a loose manhole-cover in the road outside and even though it's about 40 yards from Yvonne's window each time a vehicle goes over it, it makes an almighty clank. The Council's best efforts so far involve painting a big blue arrow on the road surface to show where it is. As it's about 2ft square I would have thought the repairers would have been able to find it anyway. Not to worry.

I took Yvonne to her hair-appointment and it's her last one with the particular girl, who is leaving to have a baby. Yvonne had taken a little present for the baby and the girl was quite touched. After that, as we were near, we decided on a mooch round Matalan which we both like. Yvonne checks out the ladies/children sections while I do the mens/kitchens bits. Their Xantos brand is suprisingly good for shirts, T shirts etc., and I found 2 blue shirts 18" neck 50" chest, complete with breast-pocket, reduced from £8 to £6 for the twin-pack. As a "dedicated follower of fashion" as The Kinks hit said, I can't be too careful. So I bought them and sod the expense. Matalan was followed by Morrisons. But I must watch it, lest I over-excite my readers. I spoke to David this morning and it is so distressing to hear of JD either in a wheelchair, or on crutches on a good day. He is, however, managing to do some night-club consultancy work (which he does know about) but to have MS at his age ! We also rang Tracy - her 44th birthday, and sang 'happy birthday' to her. Some traditions are essential in families !

For main meal I made a tagliatelli Carbonara. Which involved eggs and cream and while it was full of flavour we both thought it a little rich for us. The architect of the recipe had not reckoned in the richness of our local eggs I think! I got the recipe off the net, the Ready Steady Cook site and as I've never rated the programme anyway I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised.

Lots of news I've not really got room for. Perhaps tomorrow. Poor Ray had let a 'friend' use his PC only to find afterwards, Viruses, Trojans and loads of other nasties abounding. He has fixed most of it but posted a Highjack This log for an MOT by our extremely busy, volunteer WUforums experts.

If the weather holds we plan to go to Renishaw Hall tomorrow to see the bluebells which apparently are magnificent. Hopefully some piccies. Renishaw Hall is up the M1 to 30 and then towards Sheffield. So not very far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The wisteria pic is well worth a repeat - really stunning. Ours, which took 10 years to flower, is against a privet background which renders it invicible - such a waste.
Yes, we too still need that hour of CH to encourage us out of bed before noon. At the Durham Ox we had a flat back truck go past and over a bump at 5.30 every morning carrying only a milk crate with two empty bottles. Some people would regard such things as trivia.
I too once went to a barber who was 'a bit touched' but I never offered him flowers or let him open the cut-throat.
You are at it again! 'Mooching round Matalan' trying to make me envious.
On balance I asm rather pleased that you do not know my birth date - it is bad enough having to pretend to like presents that other people only liked enough to pass on, without having folk singing down the phone.
Please don't do that again. I had got half way through the dusting before I realised you said 'Ren-I-shaw Hall'!