Sunday, May 28, 2006

Rest Day - Did 'bog-all'



I cribbed the publicity picture from the Culture Show website and I am sure they would be delighted rather than bleat about copyright. But I thought I'd better mention it lest anyone think that I took the photograph. Our lovely Verity Sharp is second from the left. Picture two is from a card I bought at Holker Motor Museum on our NT weeked. A BSA Bantam was the motorbike I used to go to work on; at my first job, in a Bank in Derby. Not my first bike, which was a BSA 250cc but the Bantam was newer and more reliable even if sadly underpowered at 125cc. It was OK downhill and on the level, but ask it to go up some Derbyshire Hill and it slowed to around walking pace. The Bantam in the museum itself had been resprayed green but the wrong green. It is amazing how the human brain stores trivia!

We decided on a complete 'rest day'. Ankles still going down, Y still tired from BJ etc but spoke to more or less everyone during the day. Couldn't raise John and I guess David will be away somewhere caravanning but we received a webcam call from Steven so Y was able to see the children before they all set off to the 'American Adventure'. He called us when they got back and had had a smashing time. Gunslingers etc., and Miles had a ride on a 'runaway train' which he loved. A nice sirloin steak for lunch, with veg. and I cooked one steak and we had half each. More in keeping with our appetites and dietary requirements.

Loads of interesting stuff on the web. I've also sent a letter to Saga magazine (I know; we should get out more) who have had correspondence about rooting basil plants. So I gmailed the picture of the rooting-basil I published here on my Blog some time ago; to show just how easy it is to do. It will be interesting to see if they use the letter and the picture. I'm also thinking of writing to the editor to suggest they do a little more for the silver-surfer. They couldn't do less because at the moment there is nothing. A pleasant magazine but zilch content for us older web-junkies. I seem to have started battling for causes again which is good. In Lidl car-park last week I was approached by an ex-colleague (ex crime squad) and as he bent down to the car-window I said "If you want me to represent you on a 'discipline', I don't do 'em any more !" Good laugh all round, but it was a problem with his pension; and although I didn't know the answer, I told him the name of a man who might.

p.s. Great news Y has just drawn my attention to. Ken Loach has won the Palme d'Or at Cannes for his film about the early struggle for Irish independence "The Barley". A must-see for us. Another 70yr old who can still cut the mustard!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is going to sound really 'grumpy old man'. I've never heard of 'the lovely Verity Sharp', I very soon got bored with Saga Magazine when I took it on a free sub offer - so boring that I stopped expending energy in removal of the plastic.
I've just had Tilapia braised on a bed of veg, with Jersey Royals. It wasn't bad. (That means it wasn't quite as good as 'all right' which was my father's greatest level of praise.
At least it has been sunny here for most of the day.

Anonymous said...

You obviously don't watch 'The Culture Show' Bungus. Stick to Corrie and Emmerdale mate, don't want you running out of channel capacity. My Dad was much the same. Once, overtaken by verbosity, I heard him say "That was tasty".