Friday, May 12, 2006

Another Renishaw Shot - Nice Day


Another super weather day although in the afternoon there were heavy downpours in the area. Joan had thunder which she hates. Our temperature reached 23C with mostly blue sky even though a little hazy. This is definitely the last Renishaw shot at least for the time being, and shows a non-bluebell part of the garden. There were lots of interesting things to come and we intend to revisit. By the way, Ray is quite right, there is a golf-course (which he remembers playing) and it straddles the road to the Hall.

In my photo-forum a contributor praised one of my bluebell photos but pointed out (very gently) that my compact camera didn't seem to focus sharply on anything in particular. It's a good point but probably my fault, not the Casio's. My tendency is to compose the picture in the view-screen and click, hoping that the focus rectangle in the centre will sort itself out. I will pay more attention in future and go through the 'select a focus-object, half depress the shutter button, recompose, then click' routine.

We tried to chase up the manhole-cover problem and found, as we expected, that Peter had already been chasing Severn Trent who had promised to fix it by 11am. Needless to say, they didn't and when I rang them at first they couldn't find any reference to the problem but then agreed to pursue it. Let's hope it's fixed before we move !! A totally unrelated point about the bird-feeders - the greenfinches have discovered that they can access the goldfinch feeder and the niger seed. I would have thought that the slots were too tiny for their large beaks but not so. The result is that the goldfinches are being frightened away. I shall give the problem some thought.

In the afternoon we nipped over to Arnold to have a sneaky look at a bungalow on Waverley Close which we are scheduled to view next Friday. It was very nice but only two bedrooms and needing much work, hence over-priced in our opinion. Yvonne is now prepared to think of places in the Rolleston Drive/Sandfield Road area and that broadens our 'possible places list' yet again. We then had a look round the shops, market etc., where I bought a big bag of niger seed for £1 which won't last long if the greenfinches insist on 'wolfing' it. In the remaindered book shop I found two poetry books - a Simon Armitage and an anthology edited by Wendy Cope, both Faber & Faber and about quarter-price.

Re the Blog - I have discovered that I can add comments on other people's comments, whcih I wasn't aware that I could do. So 'Bungus beware', I shall answer back !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Rolleston Drive. My first child bride lived there with her parents. Her maternal Grandfather, whose name Goodreid, she and her parents took rather than Kopriv(ov)a, ownedthe wagon manufacturing works opposite Bulwell Forest Golf Course (now Tescos?) and her father was a fighter pilot in the Czech airforce who smuggled his wife and daughter back to England when the Germans invaded and later flew his plane out and joined the French Foreign Legion before transferring to the Royal Airforce in time for the Battle of Britain.

All our birds find niger seed totally resistable.

I am delighted to learn that I can now look forward to reading appreciative responses to my comments.

Anonymous said...

The niger seed is too expensive to let ALL birds have access to it ! You have to have a feeder with a slot tiny enough to preclude everthing but the goldfinches.