Thursday, May 25, 2006

Burton Joyce Day - Nice Weather

I know I promised more holiday pictures but I decided to use this instead. While in Eastwood this morning I popped into the Camera Shop for a chat with Brian and I explained the difficulties I was having with my Panorama making programme. He advised that I use the lowest pixel setting I can find on my settings (640x480 on my Casio Compact) and try again. Bingo - it worked ! .Subject matter - iffy, composition - disaster, picture quality - poor. .But undoubtedly a Panorama of the back garden.

When I went to collect Yvonne from Burton Joyce I also did one of Steve's Main Door :

This is how the three shots put together look; in their rough state. Then I have to export it to Picasa for tidying up purposes and then back again to My Pictures so that Blogger can find it. This is a weakness of Picasa, one doesn't seem able to have another programme browse for pictures in it. Because it's web-based I guess. Anyway, I didn't have the time tonight to go through the necessary 'faff' so I'm publishing it 'raw'.

These longer evenings are a joy. It is 9.30pm now and still only dusk ! Delightful bird-song and nice sky. Beryl rang with a little shopping list for tomorrow morning which will be a pleasure. Such a step forward that she rang us instead of the other way round. She has 'sacked' the home-care woman who was going each evening to put her to bed. The problem was that she was arriving at 7.30pm! and Beryl doesn't have her whisky and paracetemol ( I know, I know !) till 10.30pm. It must be enormously difficult to administer because obviously not everyone can be bedded-down between 10pm and 11pm.

Still not sorted photographs out for John, Tracy, David and Steven (although I did email him his own front door, as above), and Debra's computer is on the blink again. I know Andy needs a Mac for his job but if it isn't working ......... They would be better with a PC and Windows.

Useful comments from Bungus on yesterday's Blog and we exchanged emails about the contents. I didn't want to wax poetic about 'fibonacci series', important in the Da Vinci Code, or the 'Early Roman Empire and The Rise of Christianity' which was part of my degree . There are limits to 'comments' on 'comments' in my view. Once, on a promotion-board, I was asked by a Chief Constable "What my current bedside reading was?". I answered truthfully that it was Grenstead's "Shorter History of the Doctrine of the Atonement". It went very quiet indeed; needless to say I didn't get the job. Poor Bungus has a poorly car which needs a peg welding on the drive-shaft or something. Don't even think aout asking because he doesn't understand and I certainly don't. If Ray is reading he can maybe enlighten us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The panoramas are certainly successful. And RadioG could not have achieved the same effect by standing further back from the garden because the house would have been in the way. (Someone I once worked with told me that he had designed a bungalow for a friend. When he showed his proposals, the client said that he had changed his mind and now wanted a house. “Ah,” said Mike, “I’m afraid that’s another storey.”). I am sure that Steven will be delighted to be shown the door; now he will know when he has arrived home. But will all buildings on RadioG’s future photos be circular?

RadioG may come to regret asking Bungus to comment on his blog as Bungus is all in favour of comments on comments, ad infinitum.

Good to hear that Beryl is showing some improvement. I think Sandra’s mother had the same problem with Home Help – having to go to bed at teatime. She eventually found it not only more convenient but also cheaper to privately employ someone known and reliable to do just what was required, including things like shopping which I believe are outside the Home Help remit. Not all good ideas work very well.

The ‘Fibonacci sequence’ is a vital component of my life, and has been since the early 1950s when I didn’t even know that it had a name(I thought that I had invented it as a design tool). But I am sure RadioG is right that others can get by without it. As for ‘The Da Vinci Code’, I read the first chapter and considered it so badly written (but superior to Martina Cole, of course) that I did not wish to proceed further – perhaps it was written for Chief Constables, although surely they cannot all be the same? It is likely, however, that the hype will prevail and I shall eventually succumb – although I may, as an alternative, elect to read again ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time’, which also has fascinating mathematical content. But it perhaps should be pointed out that I have, to date, managed to avoid seeing ‘The Sound of Music’. Some people think I am a person of firm opinions, others, like my mother, have been known to call me pig-headed.

Car better, camera boggered.