Monday, May 29, 2006

Bank Holiday - Return of SpringWatch



Three images from the Springwatch website which I'm absolutely sure they won't mind me using. It's one of our favourites and resumes at 8pm this evening. Hence the early start to my Blog because by 9pm I shall be too tired to be messing about with pictures.

I've had emails re 'comments' by Bungus and I'm glad he is back. The comments haven't yet arrived in the Blog itself, but they will eventually. Bungus's Picasa problems have also dissipated, apparently something he did must have worked, but he can't identify what. Like the Blog problems, just another routine google-glitch. Can't blame google for my printer's malfunction though. It was my own fault. I believed a wizard which told me I had completed printing some images, and invited me to click 'finish' which I did. Bad move. It hadn't finished anything; it hadn't even started. Don't want to bore people so I won't related the full story. But it ended with me ignoring the Wizard's instructions whereupon, after around 10 seconds it started printing normally.

This morning, after some shopping (most shops were open irrespective of Bank Holiday) we nipped over to Woodthorpe to have a drive-by look at a bungalow on Revesby Road. Looked absolutely right ! The only criticism is that it has houses on either side, so the rear garden would be overlooked. We shall have to compromise on some things though, maybe a lot, and we are unlikely to have as much space round us as here. But that of course implies 'big garden' which we don't want. To have a small garden and lots of space round you is oxymoronic (I think). I can't be bothered to check and I sure someone will put me right.

I did a crispy-beef stirfry for main meal. It all started with finding some Pak Choi in Lidl for 27p a pack and all led on from there. My method involves having the butcher cut a very thin slice of beef, which I then cut into very tiny ribbons about 3cms long, dunked in seasoned cornflour - into the smoky hot wok, followed by the stirfry veg. A glub of sesame oil, a few glubs of oyster sauce and then the Pak Choi leaves few a few seconds, just long enough for them to start to wilt. And serve immediately. Soy Sauce at the customer's choice. Delicious. Good for dieters. Need I say more.

Springwatch was good, particularly Simon (on the left of the first picture) on the Shetlands with a family of otters. They actually 'played' at chasing and much rolling about. Maybe there is some scientific explanation for their behaviour but they just looked as if they were having fun. There was a little too much coverage of wood-mice for Yvonne's pleasure because she really doesn't like rats and mice, or any relatives like voles. Or look-alikes such as bats or grey squirrels. I'm not wild about them either but they don't offend me quite as much as they do Yvonne. Looking out of my window 9.30pm irrespective of what it says at the bottom, and there are signs that we may be beginning some 'sunsets'. Not all that dramatic tonight but red-rimmed clouds which look promising. Maybe a scorcher tomorrow because it's been b. cold today.

I can't resist this quote :-
"The way to ensure summer in England is to have it framed and glazed in a comfortable room."

Horace Walpole 28th May 1774

No comments: