Saturday, May 06, 2006

Lovely May Morning - Arnold Art Exhibition - Rain


A beautiful May morning. Blue sky with a hint of mist. Only 18c, on the Air Ministry Roof - so just a tad cooler. Joan rang last night to say that she had tickets to the Arnold Art Club exhibition so we decided to join her. We went last year and were impressed by the quality of the work and this year's exhibits were well up to standard.

For the benefit of readers who don't know Yvonne and me, the couple in the picture on the right are not us, but friends of Joan's. I know I shall be open to criticism for not positioning them in the frame better but (a) I couldn't very well ask them to move, could I? and (b) just to the right of the display panel was an ugly door and fire-extinguisher. The picture on the left is for a cat-loving reader in Wales. The painting is extremely good, but inevitably entitled "Kitten on the Keys". Ah well ! I only know of Blake who could write as well as he could paint.

After tea & cakes (delicious lemon drizzle-cake in my case) we decided to look at an interesting bungalow on the outskirts of Arnold which appealed because it backed onto open country and a super view and the price was temptingly low! It was a good job we had Joan's local knowledge because the 'open view' would not be there in the future because a housing-estate is going to be built there under plans already approved by John Prescott. If only the old goat had stuck to groping secretaries rather than tearing down Victorian Terraces and approving buildings in open country. I speak in jest - and have no wish to annoy my lady readers, because I don't really approve of groping secretaries - it is just bullying; I bet he didn't try it on with any political equals. GOSBN (Getting off soap-box now).

One of the reasons for going to Joan's yet again, was that she had made me a pochette for my little Casio Compact to replace the one Yvonne had made me out of duster-material. Unfortunately the duster in question had been bought from a door-to-door youngster and was not of the finest quality. In consequence - it wore out. Joan loves these sort of little jobs and her machine and had fashioned me a stronger one in denim. She thought it has a certain 'butch' look, and we all agreed that that was just what I needed !!

By the time we had arrived home and had lunch it was starting to cloud over and by 3pm it was raining. Burchell & Edwards rang to say that a lady buyer would like to look at the bungalow tomorrow morning at 9.30am. So quick ! Let's just hope. Yvonne went on lawn-dandelion patrol and I started to tidy up. Not such a big job this time because at least half of the stuff I moved out into the garage or the caravan, has never come back in. I suppose we do surround ourselves with unnecessary clutter.

Re the Blog. I asked Ray to read a 'post' where 'comments' had been added, to see if anyone could access other people's, as I mentioned yesterday. He did; and they can ! So, for the benefit of potential contributors, others will be able to see what you have said. Having said that, 'comments' will be most welcome and I think that it is good that they go into a sort of permanent record. And I don't have to trawl back, because I have arranged my 'settings' so that, if a comment is added, I get an email. Re today's Blog and John Prescott, Ken Coates told me, under similar cirumstances many years ago, "You've not accused him of anything illegal so it's not libel. It's just common abuse that is, and that's OK". I often wonder how Ken is. Now I'm so much better I must try to contact him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the Art Show photo, I would suggest cropping the two right hand pictures except that the lady would then be staring into space and that is my speciality.
Blake OK, but I wouldn't object if you considered my writing and painting on a par (with each other, not with Blake.
I agree that the denim 'butch' look will do your image no harm at all. Perhaps if you also lost the flowered pinny ....?
Ken Coates' libel comment is just as good read for the second time in 5 minutes.