Tuesday, May 16, 2006

No Rain - Nice Warm Day - More House-Hunting


Just some wallflowers which I tried to catch in the morning light. The camera was set to macro to, hopefully, concentrate on the foreground. Not sure if it works well or not. The wallflowers were part of a Chiltern's seeds collection which I grew but with moving I haven't grown anything this year. The way our moving seems to drag on endlessly I could have done. I would not be at all surprised to find ourselves picking raspberries before we move.

The weather has been pretty good. No rain, some nice sun but not too hot and this afternoon we had arranged to view three houses in the Arnold area. We drove the country route and the trees and the blossom are so lovely.
"O! the month of May, the merry month of May,
So frolic, so gay, and so green, so green, so green!
O! and then did I unto my true Love say,
Sweet Peg, thou shalt be my Summer's Queen."

Thomas Dekker 1572 - 1632

I tried to Google an image of Thomas Dekker but failed miserably. There don't seem to be any except for a not-very-nice line drawing of him in a four-poster bed. Not to worry - it's his words that count. He also wrote a poem called 'Golden Slumbers' which the Beatles lifted complete and unattributed for their hit song in 1969. There seem to be computer problems in general today. Bob's had snags and my Gmail wouldn't let me 'add contact' It kept informing me that I had a pop-up blocker on, which I hadn't. And I do know about the IE one hidden in Tools. In Google Talk, when I tried to open it via the grey balloon I got the normal sized window but not populated with people. So I had no means of seeing if people were available or reading any messages. And having just 'published' this, to go and do other things, I find that the problem of it taking me to yesterday's post has resurfaced. One certainly needs stamina for this blogging business.

The bungalows we went to see at least convinced us of one thing and that is that we are certainly not asking too much for here. The first one was OK, a cute little garden and a reasonable view but needing £40,000 spending on it and therefore was at least £30,000 overpriced. If you can follow the logic of that. The young lady who showed us round was the tenant and quite frank about the defects of the place. She thought it overpriced but the owner steadfastly refuses to consider offers. Oh well. She can keep it. The second place was better value, but still overpriced for two bedrooms only, and not in such a nice location. The third wasn't really a possible. Very run down and an enormously long back garden which would need far to much work at our age. So, back to the drawing board as they say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pic of the wallflowers, they are one of my favourites. House-hunting can be dire, imagine what it was like for us trying to move from southern England to Wales! Chris doesn't think we've had any welsh spring lamb yet as it's all still jumping around in the fields.
I've never been called an infiltrator before! I rather like it!
Perhaps you could put your lexicon of words on here and pm anyone on WU who hates those ads to have a look here. Some people there have no sense of humour! Thank goodness I can't see the stupid things any more.
Good luck with your house hunting, at least the weather's not too bad for it at the moment, although we're going to get rain today and gales on Thursday. I can hardly wait, hope it won't be like that there.
Madeline. (aka Mata Hari)

Anonymous said...

Very nice wallflowers. I am uncertain about macro. If I ever feel the need to use it I also try to take a second pic at normal focus which usually seems to be the better of the two.

Perhaps it is understandable that the houses you are viewing are overpriced. If they weren't they would already be sold! Your searching has firmed up my feeling that I should stay where I am until the men in the white coats or the black toppers come to take me away. Fortunately, Sandra feels the same way although she would happily lose half the garden (the best bit in my view because it has the Bramley and the Pippin and the greengage and 2 pears and the gooseberry bush and the rasberries and loganberries).

See also comments on May 15

Anonymous said...

Thanks Madeline and thanks Bungus. All contributions are welcome and valued.

I like - Mata Hari - Madeline.

The 'gales' are only going to be gusts of 50 to 60mph, you will have to 'batten down the hatches' or whatever the seafaring saying is