Tuesday, May 23, 2006

National Trust Weekend - Morecombe


Annoyingly this is the second attempt at my Blog. I had almost finished it when there was a power cut for at least 2 hours and my battery wouldn't last that long. Not to worry, I thought, it will have saved a draft. Oh no it didn't and I have had to start afresh. As you will see from picture 2, on the way up, the weather wasn't promising. Picture 1, entitled of course 'Bring me Sunshine' shows that the rain abated long enough for a little promenade. The hotel was on the front and I won a £1 wager with Yvonne, as to whether or not we would get a seaview room. I bet that we would, so not only did I have a seaview but won a £1.

The holiday seemed longer than a weekend because Jean had organised NT visits on the first day, on the way up, and also on the last day, on the way back. Our first visit was to Gawthorpe Hall and the only decent photo was of the Courtyard (actually the toilets but they are so elegant).

Soaking wet day, and even I donned my storm-coat. I don't usually bother with such things because I am seldom outside long enough for it to matter.

Yvonne loves Elizabethan and several things were of great interest. There was a lace and textile collection of national significance but I couldn't get fired up about it.

It had been my intention to Blog a post a day but the power-cut has decided the matter for me and, in any-case I think it would have been tedious, not only for my readership but also for me.

On the Sunday we went to Sizergh Castle (pronounced 'siser') and this one was my favourite.

The house had a lovely warm, friendly feel to it

Terribly wet again, so we gave the gardens a miss. I included the lady in the red coat because my friend Bungus often tells me that I need figures to convey a sense of scale. I suspect that sometimes he is right, sometimes not.

Very nice evening meal in the hotel this evening - we both had the salmon which, for hotel salmon was fine. Well flavoured, moist and nicely flaky - with new potatoes etc. The seating arrangements meant that we shared each meal with Gordon & Sue, and Alan & Margaret, all of whom are good fun. Gordon and I could talk computers and digital photography endlessly but we don't, so as to minimize the risk of boring our fellow diners to death.

The last visit, on Monday, was to Holker Hall which was excellent. Lovely meal in the restaurant but the portions were so large I actually had to leave some. I know that some readers will think I must be sickening for something but no, I was simply full. The highlight for me was the motor
museum in which, OK you had to pay a £1 for a licence to take pictures - but it was well worth it. I had an Austin A35, a green one, but an earlier model than this. It makes you feel really old when you have owned a car, older than one in a museum.

Must stop blogging now, the power-cut did for me. As I've said before you need the stamina of a marathon runner for this blogging lark. Never mind. It's good fun but I've got such a lot of other things to do now we are back. We, together with neighbours have got blocked drains and there is to be a meeting tomorrow between the Council Environmental Engineer and the people who live at the house where the blockage actually is.

The mini-holiday was great and, being able to park at Jean.s made it so convenient. I may return with pictures of BSA Bantams and things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the photo of Eric is a cracker. More like him than other less shadowy images I have seen; and an excellent low viewpoint against a good sky.

As for Gawthorpe Hall (what an unfortunate Yorkshire mills sort of a name that is), as Kenty always said “You can’t beat a good bog shot”.

Concerning weather, it is understandable that the only figure photoed is bronze Eric, apart from the red-coated lady at Sizergh (echoes of ‘Don’t Look Now’) who must have been bribed.

Re ‘lace’ (but not Elizabethan), the Nottingham lace wedding dress of one of my maternal Great Grandmothers, Gran’ma Pearson, (remember Pearson’s?) was at one time on display at Nottingham Castle (my mum took me to see it). It is probably still there somewhere.

‘Sizer’ looks to me like a sort of mini Hardwick with a box on top. Not intended to sound derogatory; it sits very well and compact..

RadioGaga is correct in thinking that I am not always right: I once thought I had made a mistake but then discovered I was wrong.

Although I have a sentimental attachment to certain cars that I have owned, especially the 7 Beetles, I generally cannot tell one model from another, and don’t care. There are a few beautiful exceptions such as the 1957 Studebaker but otherwise I have little enthusiasm. And I think Grand Prix is just as boring as horse racing – although the beer tents at Le Mans remain memorable. And if there is one thing more tedious it is motorbikes. In fact, if RG and Gordon could add cars, motorbikes and horse racing to the computers and digital photography, they would become even more riveting dinner companions!