Thursday, May 18, 2006

Burton Joyce Day - Windy but warmer


I love the way the evening sunlight shines through the Cotinus (smoke tree) leaves but, now I see it on the page I think a better bet would have been to have got closer and concentrate on just a few leaves. This really doesn't do it justice.

We had rather hoped not to see it, and the Spirea behind it, this year; having left them both for the new-owners to enjoy. The agents rang to say that the latest viewer rejected the house because she didn't like the interior layout. In our opinion it is one of the property's stronger features but accept that not everyone would like it. There was an answerphone message when we arrived back home from agents asking us for feedback on 2 of the houses we went to see. Yvonne will ring them tomorrow and explain why we reject them. Oh dear - it is an unpleasant business and we shall both be glad when it is over.

Bob added a Bungus comment to the effect that he had cooked the baked winter veg. recipe (basically Delia) and it was delicious. He had the sense to add the courgettes and mushroom at halftime. I think I had forgotten that bit.

No 'footie' match at Burton Joyce this afternoon due to weather but Miles and Granny played I-Spy in one room and Hannah and I played 'eights' in the other room. The game has different names I think, but the rules are simple. You each have 7 cards, and 1 from the pack is turned face up. Then you can throw down one card of either the same suit, or the same denomination in turn till you can't go. You then have to pick up until you can go, but if you have an 8 you can use it to change suit. The winner is the first one to go out and it is considered good form, when you are down to only one left in your hand to shout, in a loud voice "Last Card". One's opponents then have the chance, if they can, to change suit or denomination or leave it as it is. An excellent game for children from 8 to 80. Millicent divided her attentions between the two rooms. She won't be long before she is talking - she is making all the preliminary noises.

I emailed John this morning to bring him up-to-date and to tell him we would be away. The mobiles will be on 24/7 and leaving lengthy details and hotel phone numbers etc., just isn't necessary any longer.

No Blog problems, touch wood, and I've sent Ray the Panorama programme via snailmail in an envelope. Let's hope he makes a better job with it than I have. The problem I think, is that I simply have too little effective RAM to deal with it. When we are back from holidays etc., I will use Crucial to sort out what I need to add a further 256Mbs. I went to Mansfield Jessops this afternoon and bought a mini tripod because I had so much fun last night with the low-light photography I want to try again but give the camera a better chance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the colour contrasts in the photo are smashing as it is - I would be temptedto plant a smoke tree myself but will they not soon be illegal?

So far as your potential purchasers go - their not liking the layout and so on - I guess it is just a case of 'chacun a son gout' (as the man said when someone trod on his foot). As you will have gathered, i do not envy you on this one.

I do not know 8s but remember an entertaining non-gambling game learnt in the army called Sevens - like a sort of Patience for more than one player.

Odd that you should be leavingforMorecambe on the day thatI send a copy of a photo taken there 53 years ago! What are the chances of that?