Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Don Williams - Farewell Tour


Started my Blog early again, because, anticipating picture-upload problems I decided to upload the picture of Don Williams before going to the Concert rather than on our return.

In fact I needn't have worried, blogger dealt with it almost immediately. And it was a large pixel count publicity-poster, for his farewell tour. The old boy still looks pretty good - let's hope he can still sing. But his music has brought Yvonne and I so much pleasure over the years even if his voice has gone off abit we shall still enjoy it. The audience will too. The last time we saw him all those years ago he only needed to play the first chords of "You're my best friend" and the audience sang the rest of the song for him.

I'm going to break off now and finish later.

It's the following morning now and I'll complete my entry. Did'nt we have a super-super time!! He was great and still in remarkably good voice. He wears glasses now, bless him ! - don't we all? and looked quite charming - didn't know that spectacles and a stetson could go together. He included most of the 'golden oldies' and it was good to see that most of his original group are still with him, in particular Mike Noble (high harmony) and Charles Cochrane (keyboards). As Yvonne said, they had a certain 'veteran' look, but they must all get-on well together to have stuck together over all these years. And the pressures of a 'tour' like the current one must be heavy when you are late sixties. I know we are a few years older but we are 'lost in admiration'.

About the rest of the day. Lovely and warm. In the morning, as we were going over to see Joan, we called in to deliver Tracy's Birthday Card because it had glittery and upraised bits which would have suffered in the post. We certainly didn't drop by un-announced because, like the rest of our family, we don't approve of taking folks by surprise. She is going down to Debra's later in the morning and then off to Barcelona for her girlie-break. Then onto Joan's and out to lunch. We went to The Traveller's Rest instead of the TreeTops and had a very pleasant meal. I was a little annoyed when they wouldn't serve me my lemonade in a pint beer glass (which I could see that they had, because people were drinking beer from them at the bar). They would only serve it me in a half-litre glass which wasn't at all what I wanted. Yvonne asked me her customary "Does it matter?" question to which I replied "Yes. To me it does".

After leaving the pub we 'found' Mapperley Orchard, a sort of crescent with lots of nice bungalows. I say 'found' and not 'discovered' because Bob would no doubt point out that Mapperley Orchard was 'discovered' by Christopher Columbus in 1598. It's no doubt why Bob and I enjoy each-other's company. A meeting of 'pedants-anonymous' every time. When we had dropped Joan we drove home the pretty-route and the hedge-rows and trees and thriving crops all look gorgeous. Forty shades of green isn't restricted to Ireland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

3 May
A day of strange occurrences. Just after 5.00 am I was woken by the terrifying sound of a baby dragon (or one of those taloned bat-creatures fromDr Who) attempting to clawits way through the double glazing into the bedroom. By the time I had collectedmy wits it had stopped. I decided that it could not be the window cleaners working a night shift. Eventually I summoned the courage to draw the curtains. Apart from a small quantiry of moss on the window ledge, nothing. And then I saw the two Wood Pigeons sitting on the fence and was able to conclude that they had been violently fornicating in the gutter: case solved.
At 8.40 am I set of for Woodborough Road, Nottingham (gmail to follow on interesting incidental information gathered) to attend a day course on Dealing with the Media. The car was so sluggish that I doubted I would reach my destination: no power, none of the usual punch, frequent gearchanges; a complete lack of uphill acceleration. And when I did arrive, having stopped, with the engine running, to ask directions, the thermometer was nearing the red. But when I checked the water laterit was up to level. Driving home was much the same, deceleration on hills and temperature fluctuations around the halfway mark. Sandra took the carout later in the evening and reported nothing unusual! Arranged to visit garage.

I don't know if the above is the sort of stuff you want but you have got it know. nevertheless, I am willing to follow guidelines.

I have never heard of this Williams - Hank Williams, yes. But it sounds like Country which is mostly too sentimental for me (Johnny Cash excepted).

After yesterdays's course I visited my friend and former colleague, the Dovecote King. He has a pleasant 2 bed bungalow off Coppice Road (NG5 6QY if you want to look at an OS Map, its brilliant!). First, unsurveyed, impression is that he could add a third bedroom (probably en suite)although it would mean present Bed 2 being reduced to about 6' x 9'. More in gmail.