Saturday, March 10, 2007

Y safely off - Mild - Springlike Day

Picture 1 is a bronze by Taddeo circa 1590 in Rome and is currently on exhibition in Maastricht.

The picture arrived today in my ArtDaily online Newspaper. As soon as I saw it I thought "that is the effect I was trying to achieve". But I failed. However, the fact that I had done my sculpture pictures a few days ago does show that I wasn't plagiarising the idea.

Jill and Bungus are both right in that the images seemed to float about and maybe the blur was a little severe.

Re Jill's other point about my Orlistat. She is quite right to wonder about the possibility of an alternative route, if the fat bypasses the gut !! There isn't one is there? I didn't choose my words carefully enough. The drug causes the fat not to be absorbed by the gut; that is how it works and I won't go into detail about where it emerges.

We all sympathise with her son-in-law but hope that perhaps, the modern 'procedure' is better than the old one. Mine, and I think Sandra's too, was called a spinal decompression and it involved cutting away the piece of 'disc' which was pressing on the nerve. In my case my body created much internal scar tissue afterwards, which resulted in even more pressure on the nerve. Followed by numb foot and leg and loss of muscular control. Hence 'wheel chair'. And I'm still suffering. Perhaps best not show him, or your daughter, this blog entry Jill. Anyway, I'm sure you coped fine with the grannying.

Picture 2 is just a few more crocuses before they all finish. Spring is upon us. Thorn bushes have that characteristic leaf green showing, there's loads of blossom, and we've actually got flowering-currant breaking colour. And the dawn chorus is now at almost full decibel level. Since Jill's dictum I've been pretty strong on Blackbird/Thrush and I can recognise a Robin. We have one that sits on a certain branch and I can see his beak moving.

The barometer level is 30.2inches, indicating between 'fair' and 'dry'. I know the measurement these days is in different units. But whatever they measure it in I don't understand its implications.

I discovered today, by chance that the word 'Taser' used by the Police to immobilise threatening people is a derivative of Tam Swift's Electric Rifle, a fictitious weapon. I bet somebody loved inventing that. A visit to Long Eaton is my plane for tomorrow morning to see David and family. Helen tells me that Brooke will be away at a party from 10.30am. I suppose it's when they start going to parties at 10.30pm that the worries really start.

....I hope she had a good time. Sleep tight

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Taddeo bronze photo is very effective. For me, it certainly benefits (as you suggest) from sitting solidly on the ground and having no strong distracting colour.
I think a lot of the power and effectiveness of the Henry Moores at YSP is owed to the park setting and I felt a sense of deprivation when you took that away. The same evaluation does not generally apply so strongly to the YSP Hepworths and Frinks which were in more artificial settings.

As for your Orlistat analyisis; ‘Alimentary my dear Watson.’

Your experience of spinal surgery is not too dissimilar from Sandra’s. Her first op was described as a laminectomy and involved the fusion of 3 vertebrae. The second added 2 more and the resulting scar tissue and lower leg paralysis persists.
Knowing this, I am amazed that so many Premiership (and other) footballers, particularly strikers, have spinal operations and are playing again within a few months. How age wearys them is another matter, of course.

Lovely late crocuses ‘au naturel.
I think I know blackbird and thrush but otherwise my bird sound recognition is pretty well limited to collared doves, wood pigeons, coots (‘drick’).moorhens (‘pirruck’) and Little Grebes (they whinny, surprisingly loudly, like distant ponies).

I didn’t know the derivation of Taser' but I hear that Netto are expecting a delivery of ‘DiTToWeRs’ (Dick Tracy Two Way Wrist Radios) shortly. Made in China of course and regarded as a threat to the mobile phone.