Saturday, March 17, 2007

Rest Day - Art Exhibition - Walk

Lovely leisurely start to the day. Both slept well and breakfasted together. Nearly did the Telegraph Crossword straight off, which isn't bad for me because traditionally I find Saturday's competition one difficult. Y finds it easy. 'Innit strange. Anyway she nearly finished it, then I did another. But we were left stumped by 4 Down, clue= "Played by one out of form".(6 letters) ?R?A?N,

Answer please?

Then after a late coffee we decided to go to Durban House to see Broxtowe's Annual Art Exhibition. We didn't realise it closed today at 12noon. I knew that our Camera Club Chairman Reg had won 'Best Local Landscape'. We arrived with minutes to spare and saw Reg receive his prize. Another friend Mary Bingham also won a category which was an excellent effort in view of how bad her eyesight is. But she can see form and colour and does an excellent job of transforming that gift into Art. She's always been very talented.

Picture 1 is the Council's 'flyer' for the event. Quite a tussle to make a picture of it because it started life as a PDF document. The Ways and Means Act triumphed again.

Picture 2 is Reg's winning picture. It is of the old Greasley Board School at which Lawrence taught (briefly) and it is still going.

Apparently some of the 'paint' artists were a little dismayed that a photograph had won. But the rules allowed photographs, and congratulations to the Judges for being broad enough to give it the first place which it richly deserved. It does rather 'catch the eye' in my opinion.

Altogther, counting all categories, 143 pictures had been selected for the exhibition and were displayed. Congratulations Reg !

Then, - wait for it - we went for a walk along the converted railway line which used to serve Brinsley Colliery. I only managed a 100yds or so but it is a start. And if I can combine diet, orlistat, and at least some exercise I am sure to benefit.

Picture 3 is cute little bridge over what hardly merits the description 'stream' , and the footpath eventually leads round to the 'Headstocks'. All that dappled shade looked smashing in the afternoon sun. But I decline to quote Gerard Manley Hopkins on the subject yet again !

We turned round at that point and I made it back to the Car Park. Y was extremely supportive and said it was excellent for a first effort.

The home for a gentle salad lunch. Eventually I suppose I shall grow to like salads as opposed to considering them a punishment. If I eat them often enough I suppose. Seem to remember that Pavlov did some work on the topic.

Quick kip, messing about with pictures and it was tea-time. Gravad salmon on nice fresh toast, with a little gravadlax sauce. And lashings of mugs of tea. Rich orange colour, just as I like it. Then watched the Rugby. Wales won, deservedly so. Their pack was much stronger and, as Y says, there seemed to be more of them! A sure sign of ascendency.

Three Blog pictures this evening. Might be brief tomorrow because I am an RPS do all day. It is Geoff Young who I don't know well, and John Blakemore Hon FRPS who I do and has a worldwide reputation. I shall take my binoculars because there will be prints. It amazes me that more don't do the same. How they manage to appreciate A3 prints on an easel 30 yards away amazes me!..

..... Their business I guess, not mine. Sleep tight.......

p.s Just a reminder again. If you want to see a picture full size please click on it. Pete (Manxislander) had forgotten. So others might.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't even looked at crossword today - but think the word you are looking for is 'truant'.........

Anonymous said...

The word which escapes you is ‘truant’.
I knew as soon as I saw Jill’s blog comment!
Aren’t they so obvious when you know the answer?

Your dappled bridge looks a bit brinded to me.
‘L’art du camouflage’, as the French might say (well, they are inclined towards pretension, aren’t they?).

I am firmly of the belief that the rules of nature forbid the ingestion of salads by men (although I am not frightened to reveal my feminine side by agreeing to consume the occasional slice of quiche. And the very rare lettuce and salad cream sandwich goes down quite well, as do radishes with a just a bit of salt and bread & butter).
If I am to have my ‘five a day’ it must be either fruit or cooked veg, thus exonerating my enjoyment of of both beetroot (on toast with peanut butter) and ‘fresh off the bush’ tomatoes.
Because there were no ‘scraps’ for Ralph this afternoon, I opened him a tin of pilchards and had a couple, mashed up with toamato ketchup and vinegar, on toast, for my own main meal of the day. Not my favourite treat but quite acceptable occasionally as a sort of penance.

Anonymous said...

Truant doesn't fit with ?R?A?N...