Monday, March 05, 2007

Busy Monday - Nat Trust - Nottingham

This morning was a National Trust Mansfield Chapter Committee meeting in Mansfield. It was really nice to see everyone and we shall be seeing them all again tomorrow evening because it is the first Tuesday in the month.

After that we nipped down Nottingham to take books back and I needed some satin finish paper from Jessops for my pictures on Thursday night. It is the '4 on the same theme' and my entry is to be 4 from Yorkshire Sculpture Park and they are looking good.

The pictures here are of The Square, work is proceeding and I managed a peep through the fence. Having had experience of policing The Square, albeit many years ago, I could tell them with absolute certainty that this water feature is going to be trouble. The section in Picture 1 is the flat bit, with water sort of oozing out of the sides.

Picture 2 is the other end of the flat bit where water cascades over the top. Neither end is to be fenced off and will be completely accessible. Just pleased that I won't be responsible for policing it at 2am.

I know people will point out that there were fountains before but they were surrounded by walls, even if shallow, and people did used to enjoy high-jinks in them from time to time. But these seem fundamentally different. There is nothing separating the sloping slabs leading down to the water from the surrounding walking area. Broken limbs and claims for damages seem almost certain.

We had lunch in St Peters and I declined the doorstop sandwiches in favour of the more slimming soup. I have decided I must lose some weight because Y is quite right to point out that I would move about more easily and be less breathless. Y has been on cookhouse fatigue today and did us a lovely chicken curry and rice for evening meal.

I must just comment on yesterday's comments. I appreciate Bungus not doubting my integrity when I said the 'sky' hadn't been interferred with. Because it hadn't. On my Nikon there are two settings - normal and more vivid - I admit that I had the camera set to more vivid. But what came out was an accurate representation of the sky as it was. When I looked out of my bedroom window the new piece of fence, facing the sun, looked as if it was on fire. Hence the rush for the camera. But not the slghtest bit of interference took place.

So there .....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a yawn it would be if there were no risks. And people would still find ways to injure themselves and each other. Remember how it used to be? Drowning in dirty ponds, falling from trees, diphtheria and scarlet fever. Now we have nothing but a few wet slabs.

And your ‘doorstop sandwiches’ are still ‘dooorsteps’ in the dictionary.

Red sky at night, Nikon delight. There must be a special dust in the air at Eastwood!

Anonymous said...

PS
re red sky. I would have liked to see a picture at 'normal' setting, to compare. It must make some difference?