Saturday, March 03, 2007

Pleasant March day - Chilly but no wind

This purple crocus on the edge of the crowd of yellow ones appealed to me. There always has to be one rebel I suppose - standing at the back heckling.

The garden pictures, from this garden anyway, may come to an end. Soon we hope because there will be a new garden to get excited about.

On my way back from Wentworth the Est. Agent left a message on my mobile. A potential purchaser and his wife want to view on Sunday morning and they aren't in a chain but in rented accommodation, eager to move. We won't get too excited though 'eh?

I shall keep dropping bits in, about my PowerPoint Course, but I really did enjoy it and I learned so much. Our final project was to prepare a five slide presentation about our CV and current interests. And demonstrate a selection of the techniques we had mastered. A difficult task and the result, please click here, was inevitably bitty and jarry. But I wanted you to see it. I'm not a proud chap and I'm not Martin Scorsese either. The reason for the limit on the number of slides was because all members of the class had to present his/her presentation and there were time problems. BTW there were lots of interesting people, including a retired bobby from Sheffield who, in addition to his brief CV covered his role as a cricket-fan and umpire. We were able to reminisce about 'trying door handles' in the 50s. It is quite impossible for someone who isn't or wasn't a copper to pretend to be, when talking to a real policeman.

In class fortunately, we seemed to escape the 'class bore' 'the idiot' 'the excessive question asker' and 'the show off'. They must all have emigrated to WEA !

Picture 2 is a Wentworth Duck for whose benefit I have given the background the 'gaussian blur' treatment. It is so obviously faked that I think it's OK. Much preferable to the planks and builders rubble with which he was originally surrounded.

Smashing 'comments' especially Jill about birdsong. I loved the Browning quote and I shall know now how to sort the thrush from the blackbird. In the introduction to my collection of Browning it says-

"The love of a wide expanse, of the open sky and the wind, a keen eye for effects of light and colour, especially for the transformations worked by dawn and sunset.........these characteristics he has in common with Shelley"

I didn't realise that I was in such illustrious company. Mind you, I can do without the wind.

This morning I had a computer problem. My paid-for AVG and firewall, said it had had it and I was 'at risk' because my licence had expired. Perhas the computer shop only paid for a free trial period or something. Anyway I solved it by uninstalling what was left of it and I then installed AVG free, which everybody seems happy with anyway.

....Y is i/c catering today. I'm off to see what I've got for me tea !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely crocuses.

Hope the sound of the man (and woman) not working on the chaingang is not a false alarm (all right, it’s convoluted but you know what I mean).

Those less than interesting people who aren’t in the WEA are probably in U3A! But you were lucky; there is usually one at every Northern College course.

Sorry, but I think your ‘Gaussian Blur’ is suitable for adverts. It’s a good bod though, me duck.

I concur about Jill’s Browning but didn’t know he suffered from wind.

This afternoon I watched a video of ‘Vera Drake’. A brilliant film with splendid performances, I thought it captured the reticence and inhibition of the early 1950s extremely well although I don’t remember anyone at Sutton Baths or Kirkby Festival Hall dancing like that (perhaps it was a London thing?). But appropriately gloomy and unhappy which maybe is why it didn’t do better in the Oscars.

If it comforts, Dan considers Free AVG quite adequate for me and, therefore, presumably, for you!