Wednesday, March 21, 2007

2c - Sunny - The storm clouds but no storm

Still cold but the wind has dropped.

This morning it was over to the Chinese Nail place for Y's three-weekly full service and one to be repaired following a ring-pull accident on a can of alcohol-free lager for me !

After 'nails' we went to a smashing Italian café on Carlton Hill and had scrambled eggs on focacia, topped with smoked salmon followed by a sweet of which we had half each. Can't remember accurately but it was something like Toscanella ! Whatever it was called both dishes were delicious and the coffee was first class. I had a regular from a cafetierre and Y had Latte. I hesitate to call it a restaurant because it is so small. But we shall definitely go again. While Y was in the 'nail hospital' I had a look round the charity shops and, as I cannot leave empty handed I bought an earthenware crock which was originally for marmalade and I'm hoping that Helen and David will give it a home.

As usual when we go to Carlton it was a bright sunny morning but by the time we got to The Mechanics the storm clouds were gathering as you can see from Picture 1. All the activity in the centre of the picture is where Trinity Square used to be. A fact I didn't know until last week when Mike told me was that with these multi-storey buildings the first job is to install the lift-shafts. Then they build the rest of the building round them. It makes sense when you think about it. How on earth would you install a one piece lift shaft in a pre-existing ten-storey building? Our architectural correspondent will inevitably say something like "It's obvious and I would have thought everyone already knew that".

The threatened storm didn't materialise and by the time we emerged from our Venice class it was bright sunshine again.

I have entitled Picture 2 - 'Man lands Crane on Pub Roof'. The crane seemed to my 'lay' eye to be enormous and it must be a helluva difficult and skilled job.

The Italian lunch was a pleasant change from The Mechanic's grub but 'Horses for Courses' I guess.

In our Venice class we zoomed through Baroque and arrived at Rococco ( which always sounds to me like an Italian confection - which I suppose theoretically it is) - I think I'll have a Rococco and Coffee please ! The tutor reached Tiepolo and unfortunately that is where we must bale out. Last week is the last session and neither Y nor I can make it. I'm going to the Aviation Museum at Cosford with the photographers and Y is grannying in Palmers Green. So we thanked Bob very much and offered our apologies.

I got my INR book back in the post this morning and, as predicted, I have to be tested again on Friday morning. I have been given my Thursday dosage, so I guess I shall hear from them again on Friday evening. Thank you all for your sympathetic comments but I'm not really worried because we have been down this alleyway so often. The Clinic were concerned that I might be bleeding or have odd bruises and Y checked me over. Not a task for the faint hearted bless her!

BJ day tomorrow for Y and Camera Club in the evening for me. Nothing to prepare though because Clay Cross Club have sent across the slides of their exhibition for us to see. So that will be fun. My other photography magazine arrived this morning and it contains a big article about what is/is not acceptable photo manipulation and there was another article in AP about it. So if my little piece has stimulated debate, I am delighted.

And 'Anonymous 1' - when I said I was relieved you had arrived via Pete's Blog I only meant that it reassured me that you weren't a spammer, or a hacker, or worse. Nothing else, and it implied no criticism.

Just looked out of my window and there's a delightful crescent moon, really thin and nearly on its back.

.. Makes me think I'd better be sorting myself out though......it is 9pm !!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry Trinity Square has gone. It's cafes were part of my personal history of the 50s and 60s.

But I hold my hands up!
No one ever told me that lift shafts are installed ‘first’ and, in fact, I don’t think it quite makes sense. In skyscrapers I do not see how it would be possible – who would erect the scaffolding?
Perhaps ‘first’ means immediately after the steel or concrete frame has been constructed?
And surely lifts are frequently installed in existing buildings (Wentworth Castle) up to four or five stories at least!
If anyone else knows more, I am always eager to learn.

The Mediterranean diet is supposed to be very healthy. Think Pavarotti !
And, talking of wraithlike figures: when Steph was enjoying her ‘Mothers’ Day’ picnic at Clumber they visited the bookshop where David bought 2 books about Nottinghamshire ghosts, both of which featured the Durham Ox at Wellow (and Sandra’s traumatic emcounter). Although I never saw the female figure myself, several people did, apart from Sandra, and others had some very strange non-visual episodes.
Having seen other ghosts myself (all with possible rational alternative explanations) I sit on the fence as, with this subject (unlike Global Warming) there seems to be no reason at all to feel obliged to make a decision one way or t’other.

For our main meal I cooked a Shroutm (a sort of middle–eastern risotto) accompanied by mango chutney. Although lacking the punch of most 'Indian' food, the delicate cumin perfume makes it a pleasant occasional dish.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take Yvonne to check you out for bruises? How many times did you break for refreshments?

Anonymous said...

PS
The smoked salmon and scrambled eggs sounds delicious and I am sure it was fine on the focaccia although, personally, I much prefer ciabatta.