Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Lovely Spring Day - Need I say More

Some Flowering Currant at night, with flash. It is a nice effect in my opinion.

The shrub looks so attractive at this time of year but, as I think I warned people last year, don't cut some and put it indoors in a vase. Unless you happen to like the smell of cat pee!

Our potential purchasers arrived on time and said all the right things. Y was of the opinion that Mrs Viewer was very enamoured. Lets hope so.

Another pleasant surprise was that my £50 cheque arrived from IPC Media for my AmPhot article. I think it's the first bt of writing I've actually been paid money for since my short story The Book Reviver was published. Perhaps I'm starting afresh. My beloved note-book is always to hand because if I had a bright idea and didn't write it down straight away the OAGs would spirit it away.

For lunch we had the parsnip and sweet potato soup, with a fresh crusty roll, and Y shares my high opinion of it. The only difference from the recipe I published was that, not having a leek to hand I used an onion.

Picture 2 is a facsimile of Blake's original The Tyger. And I'm quite sure that Bungus was well aware that that is how Blake spelt it. If he had wanted to write 'Tiger' he would have done. Bungus, I remember, didn't like Hopkins spelling of 'brinded'cow' either. But poets are poets.

Karen bless her, has been and mowed the lawns and although the grass wasn't really long or anything, the look is much smarter. She also went round the edges and sorted bits out with a spade where they were protruding.

You will all be able to read now in Bob's comment on yesterday's Blog the performance he as had with the hedge between them and the neighbour. I sincerely hope that everything comes to a satisfactory conclusion. In Y's view the neighbour is a nutter in respect of whom great care should be exercised. I am reassured that he gave Bob the Vsign - so much more tolerable than a shotgun. At his request I have blogged nothing about the problem earlier because it didn't seem either wise or appropriate.

David sent me a lovely picture of the mice and I will probably 'blog' it in due course. Or perhaps a 'link' to it would be better bearing in mind Y's phobia about the creatures.

My weight loss is proceeding steadily, with the Orlistat, and I don't aim for a dramatic loss anyway, because one always seems to put it back on again. Perhaps 2 lbs a week would be about right.

Nobody minds penguins do they ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I might like Flowering Currant then, ‘cos I do like Elderflower and May blossom to which some people apply the same epithet.

I think the most I have ever received for writing was a half share of a £50 first prize from Jennings, (a short lived but quite well produced literary mag) for a competition entry (a Short Mystery Story called ‘Devil’s Elbow’ based on an actual car crash which I turned into the murder of my first wife).
I also got some free copies of Staple Magazine when they twice published small pieces, a pen for winning a short story comp in another small mag, and a bottle of Reisling for coming in the top 12 (of 20,000) of YTV's Calendar Poet Laureate Competition.
'It's hard work but the rewards are enormous' (JK Rowling)

All right, I’ll try the soup!

Yes, I did know that that is how Blake spelt ‘tiger’. I just think he should have known better! Being a poet is no excuse, despite having a licence.
‘Brinded was new one on me though and I did think it must have been a spelling error until I checked it in the dictionary (surprisingly, it means ‘brindled’)

I cut our front lawn yesterday too. It is still a mess but looks much better (at a distance)

The High Hedge saga referred to would have been far too complicated to hold anyone’s interest (unless, possibly, you had started blogging it 5 years ago).
I have kept all correspondence etc and if I have the stamina I may write a fictional version along the lines of ‘The Honeywood File’ if anyone remembers that from the 1950s? (it was about the trials of building of a house in Canada – very entertaining).

A website that Orlistan took me to suggested about 4lb a week but I don’t think it really matters provided it keeps going steadily.
Stop when you reach Size 0 though.

"Nobody minds penguins do they?" Have you asked the fish they eat?

I have so far been unable to find the meaning of ‘blues and twos’, so I’ve asked Dan. But a blog reader may know.