Friday, March 09, 2007

Start of Rest Days - Y off to PG tomorrow

Picture 1 is Eastwood Parish Church which is almost next door to the Doctor's and the lighting appealed. Also, of course, the strong diagonal provided by the foliage line. I have chosen not to 'clone out' the telephone cable because I don't think it is at all obtrusive.

The 'Orlistat' doesn't seem to be causing me any unpleasant side effects and together with a more sensible diet, I am hopeful. The drug isn't an appetite depressant as such; it works by causing fat to bypass the gut so its essential that one takes it during or shortly after a meal. Watch this space !

Dr Latimer was as always, understanding, reassuring and ' sound as a pound'.

We shall certainly miss her when we move.

My pictures at Eastwood didn't fair very well yesterday evening. The judge obviously isn't at all interested in Sculpture, thinking that the pictures were photographs of someone's hobby. So 'eat your hearts out' Moore, Frink and Hepworth et al ! He did however make the completely sound point that Picture 4, of the Elizabeth Frink head, didn't fit in with the rest of the panel. That I fully accept.

It certainly isn't worth becoming 'uptight' about the judgements passed on my pictures. They give me pleasure or I wouldn't keep doing them.


Picture 2 is a 'Gerald' concentrating on his 'snap' as Nottinghamshire Miners, and Policemen for that matter, call their away-from-home refreshments. In the Police Force this is usually shortened to 'Refs'. I know the chaffinch picture isn't all that sharp but it is a record.

We haven't yet watched the programme about Global Warming which, according to the Telegraph review, does a good job of demolishing the mythology. Apparently scientists have noticed that the Sun's activities are different now from recent years and haven't been like this for centuries. Suprise Surprise! It won't make any difference to the 'man made global warming' lobby though because there is far too much money involved.

I look to Matt to sort them out.

Little bit of current information - Lidl have introduced a choice of smaller trolleys. The existing ones were enormous and steep sided an Y had difficulty retrieving things to put them on the conveyer belt.

....... Sleep tight folks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the fat by-passes the gut, where does it go to? I imagine it travelling along quite happily, then all of a sudden it comes to 'Road Closed' and takes a detour, the scenic route?

Lovely chaffinch! Am afraid I didn't like the sculpture ones either, they looked sort of detached, in a sea of green.....better luck next time.

Apologies for the silence, son-in-law in hosp. with serious back problems, he has had what they call 'a procedure' and we call 'an operation' and is better, but it will taken another 10 days or so to find out if what they implanted will dissolve the bit of disc that has broken off and embedded itself in a nerve, causing paralysis and great pain - that sounds like an oxymoron, but it isn't....I've been on child-minding duties.

Anonymous said...

If you hadn’t mentioned the telephone cable I wouldn’t have noticed it. Now I cannot take my eyes off it!

Am I supposed to read some slightly unpleasant hidden warning message about 'Orlistat'? Will it allow you to eat out?

I thought the Frink was supposed o act as a sort of punctuation mark. I agree with Jill about the green and have commented on Gaussian Blur elsewhere.
But we all see things rather differently. I bought a smashing tee shirt from Netto the other day which Sandra thinks is a lovely Sage Green, whereas Steph and I cannot detect any green in it whatsoever (somewhere between beige and stone, we think)
What do judges know?

I think it may be Yorkshire where they refer to ‘snap’ as ‘bait’. What a ridiculous term! Although fish ‘snap’ at ‘bait’, don’t they? If you’re lucky.

I failed to tape the Global Warming programme. I suppose it’s a matter of which conspiracy theory you choose to believe; the one that suggests it may be possible to take some useful action or the one that says it’s a waste of time doing anything.
I have always thought that the Irish and the Arabs are very alike in tending to favour the latter ‘Allah keefik’ approach.
I think it an attractive trait, so am I being racist or not?
I think anyone who has served in the Armed Forces will understand where Col Mercer was coming from but he really should have thought more carefully about how he expressed himself because he extrapolated an inaccurate stage too far. Anything which made a person stand out on parade was to be avoided and, in that respect a dark skin was no more of a handicap than wearing glasses (‘Hey you, yes you, you with the bicycle on your nose …’) or big ears or two left feet.

I'm afraid that you and I (me from second hand) will suspect that Jill's son-in-law is likely to be in for a much longer haul than he may have been led to hope.
Sandra had her 'procedures' in the 1970s and (I think like you) the 1980s and both of you still suffer much of the time from both paralysis and pain to varying degrees.
But best not tell him, Jill.

Anonymous said...

You nearly had me there, with:
"Surprise! It won't make any difference to the 'man made global warming' lobby though because there is far too much money involved."
Addendum

Surely it is the big monney countries (US, Russia, China, Japan, India), and large corporations, who stand to make the most from burning fossil fuels, etc, and who will therefore wish the Global Warming 'myth' to be DISPELLED to their advantage by "everything's fine; nothing we can do about it" programmes like the one to which you refer?