Friday, March 16, 2007

Mostly Rest Day - Car MOT - Griddled Tuna

Another from the 'dawn' series. I'd put the camera on the tripod and set the self timer to 5secs, to prevent camera shake as it needed quite a long exposure. And just as the shutter clicked open this lorry shot across. The effect pleased me so I didn't delete it.

I shan't use it for anything though because I wouldn't expect anyone to like it. Mind you, at the camera club last night, Helen had the subject 'Movement' so it would have done for that I suppose. She did a lot of lateral thinking and managed, among other things, to shoe-horn in a picture of Abu Simbel, quite properly arguing that that temples had been moved. (To allow for the flooding of Lake Nasser')

Other people had subjects I would have preferred to my 'atmosphere', like 'bridges' and 'street-scenes' for instance. But it was a most pleasant evening and the absence of competition worked well. Surprisingly enough there were fewer there than on a competition night. Perhaps other people enjoy the merciless attacks on their little darlings more than I do.

Picture 2 is a house of most peculiar design which we pass on the way to Eastwood. The other side of the sticking-up bit has quite normal windows in it. Why it was designed like that I know not. Perhaps our architectural correspondent could shed some light ?

The house is almost level with a flashing sign which has just been installed and tells you what your speed is. Unfortunately, for days it has been stuck on 33mph, and it still flashes "Thank You" as you sail past.

I'm sure they will fix it.

It was a lovely morning after a frost. And with the lawn having recently been mown the air was worth taking lungfulls of. Mrs Blackbird was working the front lawn with a will while Mr Blackbird was uselessly pecking at the gravel. Blackbirds really are stupid birds. Later in the day it clouded over and rained quite heavily. Derek next door had seen the 'global-warming denial' programme and has been persuaded by the arguments. This though is difficult to believe - the daffodils have peaked too early in Cumbria and they have planted plastic ones so as not to disappoint Wordsworth fans. Please click. Y thinks we have been taken over by aliens. It is beginning to seem the only explanation.

The car passed its MOT without needing any work, but it made me realise that the OAGs have now gone national. I couldn't find this years certificate to take to the garage with me, and only realised when Steven brought the car back, replete with new certificate, that the gremlins had changed the shape and design of the certificate ! On a more local note, when Y unpacked after London the OAGs his her electronic thesaurus (her favourite toy) in her bedside cabinet with her tablets. The swine !

I read a BBC.co.uk piece this morning in which the journalist said it had been necessary to 'anonymise' something. To make sure I wasn't missing out on some current usage I checked - Chambers - "Sorry, no entries for anonymise were found" - it said. To my relief.

.Apparently we are in for a cold spell, with the possibility of snow. I hope those plastic daffodils will be OK.

p.s. To remind readers. If you want to see a picture full size just click on it. And if you want to leave a 'comment', and they are always welcome, click on 'comments', right at the bottom and follow the instructions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graham thanks for the reminder at the bottom to click on the photo for a larger image. I did and the effect was a lot better. Loved the picture of the moving lorry. Can't really say why as though I love photography and take photos all the time I'm not that up on the subject. I just like what I like. It's the same when I take pics...I see a view point and click that's it and I still haven't got around to understanding photoshop just yet....You'll have to give me lessons......MMMMM grilled tuna, you know how to spoil yourself don't you. Nearly as nice as Manx Kippers and Queenies....Cheers

Pete

Anonymous said...

Meat & potato pie with mushy peas for me.
Sandra has just arrived home from dining at Kelham Hall (in Alex’s Prom Dress) with the Chairman of the Council (and a few others).

I can only think the occupant of the back-to-front house wants to avoid the sight and sounds of the road. I do find it a strangely rather attractive building. Well done for spotting it.

Although the solar/wind powered speed signs seem rather unreliable, I do think they are effective when they ARE in operation.

I’ll carry on supporting the attempts to counter Global Warming on the grounds that even if it is based on a false premise it cannot do any harm (because we are over polluting anyway) and if it DOES happen to be right …

It was very cold here today but bright sun this morning. No sign of rain until after 10.00 pm. Will the weekend snow damage the strawberries that some folk are picking.

It becomes more and more apparent that you are not paranoid. They really are out to get you.

I think you would be well adviserated to incognizate the use of anonymise. Is it connectorated to the Bush Telegraph?

Anonymous said...

PS
After a more detailed look, I'd say it has to be an old cottage that has been extended and recently rendered. The external plumbimng is very neat but a pity it is in two colours.