Monday, March 19, 2007

Weird weather - Blood trouble again.

I thought that the house of strange design might be of interest from the front. Rear view in Friday's blog. Someone with local knowledge must know about it. I shall ask around, because it intrigues me.

This was taken about 12noon and the storm clouds are already gathering. The wind has been blustery all day and when I collected Y from Sherwood this afternoon the light was dramatic. We managed to have a charcoal sky at the same time as brilliant sunshine soon followed by sleet and then snow. Big flakes too.

My day has been busy. The car had passed its MOT fine so I went and taxed the car, then a blood test at the Doctors and my INR level has gone haywire again. It should be around 3 but has zoomed up to 6.4. The Clinic rang to stop me taking my Warfarin tomorrow and I guess I shall have to have it checked again on Thursday. Oh what a pain! The Clinic Practitioner was on the point of admitting me to Hospital again but, after checking that I wasn't bruising or bleeding, decided I could stay at home. Thank God. It can only be my 'Orlistat' anti-obesity drug, nothing else has changed. Watch this space !

I spent some time this morning making another bucketfull of Sweet Potato and Parsnip Soup and for our evening meal -griddled smoked cod, the Jamie Oliver thinly sliced potatoes done in the oven, together with courgettes, mangetout, and fine beans and little mushrooms. Follwed by some left-over strawberries and raspberries with a dollop of Ice Cream. And I have discovered some alcohol-free lager which is tolerable. Bavaria. And 'No' it doesn't come from Bavaria it is bewed and canned in Holland. Anyway it is a great improvement on how Kaliber used to be i.e. vile.

The season is strange. This dandelion on a grass verge is in flower. I have always considered May/June to be the typical flowering period but maybe I'm mistaken.

John Redwood was a little disloyal to his boss when he pointed out that scientists have found that Mars too, is warming as well as Earth, but they can't find any race of the 4 x 4s which are causing it. But, as Bungus points out, it won't do us any harm to cut back on fossil fuels and other nasty things we do to the environment. The trouble is that, as we all know, it will all provide yet another excuse to tax us more.

Thanks 'anonymous' for asking. We were happy with the Crossword. It would be nice to know who you are but welcome anyway if you want to preserve your mystery. Could you perhaps be 'anonymous 1' so we don't become confused if any other 'anonymousses' appear. Or should it be 'anonymice' ?

The consensus seems to be 'mistle thrush' but, as Bungus points out Turdus viscivorous is an unfortunate proper name.

My INR blood level will settle down again eventually. But....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a stunning photo!
As a ‘picture’ it is, for me, well ahead of the competition winner of 'a school on a corner' that you showed the other day.
But I am not a judge.
What I had not realised was that the earlier photo of this building was taken from the BACK! And that all the windows are right on the road! That makes it impossible, certainly without knowing more about the site, to explain the lack of fenestration on the other side???? But what, I ask, would life be without its little mysteries?

Sorry to hear about the usual bloody trouble. At the very least it must be intensely irritating that things should be so finely balanced.

I managed another excellent tray of roast roots and tubers today. Like soup, and other things, it varies, to a lesser or greater degree, every time. But this one, of potato, butternut, celeriac, leek, parsnip, sweet potato and shallot, with Italian herbs, thoroughly cooked and the edges just ‘caught’, was a winner.

My ‘Wild Flower’ book gives dandelion flowering time from March to October, so yours is not so surprising as you thought. Nothing to do with Global Warming.
Segue to Martians who, I believe, have discovered the art of teleportation; a skill which makes the motor vehicle unnecessary and which should give them a few more centuries before the Big UnBang.
Like most fair-minded people, I prefer taxes to be paid by others for my benefit. Therefore, I am not unhappy at the thought of school-run truck drivers bearing a heavier burden.

Alternatively, the mystery contributor could become ‘Arthur’ or ‘Andrea’ Anonymous, to be followed, like a hurricane, by Bertie / Beatrice, Charlie / Carol, Dave / Donna, etc.
Irrelevantly, I always remember how to spell anemone (not anenome) by pronouncing it ‘any money’. I suppose that is a mnemonic, but I can’t remember how to spell nmemonic.

My dictionary says ‘missel’ or ‘mistle’ is optional and, striking though it is, I tend to just favour the more subtle patterns of the Turdus Philomenos. But hey, let’s have them both! After all, it will soon be Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 1 - Hello again, yes I'll keep an air of mystery for now! Here via Pete's blog and sorry to hear you are having health problems.
Until yesterday we had daisies flowering on the lawn, now all gone thanks to the hail and snow but I expect they'll be back shortly.
All for now but I'll keep popping back...
Take care!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 1 - Hello again, yes I'll keep an air of mystery for now! Here via Pete's blog and sorry to hear you are having health problems.
Until yesterday we had daisies flowering on the lawn, now all gone thanks to the hail and snow but I expect they'll be back shortly.
All for now but I'll keep popping back...
Take care!