Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Venice Continues - Prints for EPS



These are my pictures for the Camera Club tomorrow evening. The competition is for a panel of 4 prints on a theme, or demonstrating the same technique. All were taken in the Yorkshire Sculpture Park which was a smashing boys' own photo-jaunt which Bungus and I both thoroughly enjoyed.

Now these have been heavily photoshopped. I selected each image, separated it from its background which, after some adjustments for lighting and colour tone, I gave the gaussian blur treatment. They are no longer actually photographs I suppose, just pictures of other people's creations. No real apology for that though, because so is a picture of a building or a steam train. But they appeal to me and Y likes them too. n.b. If you click on each image you will get an enlargement, and they are 4 separate images, not all joined together.

This afternoon was the Venice Class, and good again. We covered Veronese and Tintoretto and the painting of the ceiling of the Doge's Palace. There must have been centuries of stiff necks for tourists. But not for the artists because the paintings are on canvas which was then glued to the ceiling. I didn't know that! There is such a lot to learn. While I was there Y went to the Theatre Royal with Sylvia to see 42nd Street. Y loves 'tap' and of course so much of the music is so memorable.

They 'lunched' at Petit Paris, which is always nice and I ate at The Mechanics. I opted out of a big stodgy meal and they have started to serve a very attractive plate of 4 little triangular sandwiches - mixed (2 brown, 2 white and I had a ham, egg and cress, cheese, and salmon with a tiny salad garnish). Plus of course a J2O. All delicious.

Tomorrow is BJ day for Y (sounds like a question on our quizz sheet doesn't it?) and for me it's mounting prints, transport runs and EPS in the evening. Nice to be busy though !

....Closing early because I need an early night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ref our Sculpture Park jaunt, I know at least one person who would say, “Not so much ‘Boys’ Own’ as ‘Last of the Summer’s Wine’!”

Just my opinion but I think the photoshopping of the sculptures subtracts more than it adds. Not so much the Elizabeth Frink, but I think the weight of the Barbara Hepworth and the two Henry Moores demands that they sit firmly on the ground.
Would you take a steam train from its rails or a building from its site? I shall be interested to hear what the judges think.

I wouldn’t want life to become a misery for you but have you considered cutting out lunch altogether?
I very often just have breakfast and an evening meal which accounts for my sylphlike figure - 5’7”, 14st4lb stripped (no, don’t try to create an image; Gutsian Blurring would be a blessing).