Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cold - Wet - Misty - Miserable

Another Trinity Square picture so you can see what's afoot. To help in orientation, the building on the skyline (centre-left) is Victoria Centre flats.

Y rang me from the bus, on her way to Burton Joyce this morning to say that she had been in Market Square. The water-spouting wall which I foresaw as potential trouble has been demolished. Oh dear !! More expense for the poor council-tax payers of Nottingham. It will be interesting to see what they do next.

We haven't got closed minds about these things because we really like and approve of most modern architecture and design. There seems to be some horrors though. One building at the bottom of Tollhouse Hill has these ghastly blue and green panels which look so tawdry and cheap.

Picture 2 was just abit of street furniture opposite Y's 'nail' place where I dropped her yesterday. It is in black & white because it was the interplay of lines and shapes which appealed. The colours were not important and even a little of a distrasction.

I haven't been converted back to monochrome by John Blakemore; it is just that, sometimes, it seems more appropriate.

The 'comments' yesterday were pleasing and I would be prepared to wager that Bungus's 'Ghosts of Nottinghamshire' book was written by Rosemary Robb who, if he casts his mind back used to be a member of Nottingham Writers.

I had to laugh when he said he had cooked a 'Shroutm'. At first I thought he had said a 'Scrotum' and thought "they waste nothing at Boughton do they?"

Yesterday I decided that the bird-feeders needed a good spring-clean so I took them down and emptied them; gave them all a good scrub and dried them and refilled. No problem with tits, starlings, sparrows, the robin, and greenfinches - but the goldfinches have taken umbrage and I've not seen them since. No doubt they will be back. I hope so because I'm quite proud of our goldfinch family.

Camera Club this evening but first I ust go and collect Y from the tram.

Brilliant tip on WUforums this morning from Pete (Manxislander) of how to clear your desktop of all those untidy icons. You right-click on an empty bit of your desktop, click 'arrange icons by', uncheck 'show desktop icons' and they will vanish. But don't panic. Go down to your task-bar and right-click in an empty bit. Then left-click 'toolbars' and put a tick against 'desktop'. The word 'Desktop' will then appear at the right of your task-bar with two black chevrons above it. Click those and you have access to all your desktop icons. Luverly tidy icon free desktop.

Thanks Pete.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good Trinity Square ‘work in progress’ photo. I could say, ‘I get the picture’.

I presume you mean that the Slab Square water wall has been vandalised? (not just fallen apart). I had heard that there had been some trouble with graffiti but not wanton destruction.
In the immediate prewar years, the Mansfield town centre slums were cleared and people rehoused at Maltby Road Estate. For ten years or more the flower beds etc were vandalised and the council just kept replanting till eventually people learned to appreciate and it stopped; the estate became respectable and has remained so. Expensive but it worked.
Whether it would still work, I don’t know.

I agree absolutely that black & white sometimes is much more effective than colour; just look at the two versions of ‘Psycho’.

If you are interested in knowing how to cook 'Shroutm', I could give you a few wrinkles.

Anonymous said...

A visit to Radio Nottingham website affords relief with the revelation that the problem at Slab Square is not a result of vandalism but a construction fault that can be 'easily remedied'.

Anonymous said...

Graham, so glad that you liked my little tip regarding clearing your desktop of all it's icons. It certainly makes things look a lot better.... Loved the pic of the street furniture. I have as of late been changing some of my pics on my site into monochrome as I think that it gives that moody look that I was after.....Hope the bloods have settled down and that you are now back to normal....take care....Pete