Saturday, March 24, 2007

Cold and Dull - Morrisons - New £20 notes



The new £20 notes are, in my opinion, very stylish. A work of art without question and full of little security tweaks; bit of embossing here, holographs, 3D effect there, watermarks etc., etc.,...... Interestingly I tried to 'open' the images in Photoshop, to crop etc., and I was curtly told that Adobe didn't permit banknote images. So there! Good old Picasa however had no such scruples so here they are, front and back.

I was surprised to learn (Y wasn't) that so few people apparently know who Adam Smith was. Mind you they probably didn't know who Sir Isaac Newton was either when he appeared on the banknotes. The Queen must be a safe bet though. It's probably a Tower of London job for blogging these pictures but, so long as I can take my laptop with me !

A nice quiet Rest Day, or 'doss day' as Karen calls them. Leisurely start, Telegraph, toast, start crossword and so on. By the way we have finished the crossword except for 23 across. Old pupil left 99 of the poems (4). We have ?D?C. The 'C' is abit suspect, being provided by 'decoked' from 20 down, 'Decarbonised fuel requiring no energy in the act' (7 letters). Then Morrisons at Bulwell for reprovisioning.

Picture 2 is Brum and I was very taken with him in the foyer. Y tells me he is a most unusual cartoon character.

If I had been just a little smaller I would have quite liked a ride but Y said that we hadn't time.

Y had picked herself a salad for lunch from the salad bar, as we were at the Bulwell store. They differ from the Eastwood store version which is too oily. I decided on a Cornish Pasty. Hope my 'Orlistat' will sort it out. Then it was back to the papers and magazines and a nice read prior to sorting out my pictures and doing my blog.

Pleased to report that the goldfinches are back, but are having to face being bullied by the greenfinches who seem to have taken a fancy to the niger/thistle seed feeder and they shoo away the waiting goldfinches. They remained patient however and got there in the end.

Just to carry on with the E Nesbit poem:-

"The English oak is a sturdy fellow;
He gets his green coat late;
The willow is smart in a suit of yellow,
While brown the beech trees wait."

That's it for today folks. Finish off spag-bol and watch 6pm news. TJ coming tomorrow for lamb-chops and then taking Y to Burton Joyce to watch Hannah dancing.
Hope we get a little sun tomorrow. Remember to do your clocks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 1 - Brum was a very popular cartoon a few years ago, not sure about now, my children being too old to watch such things these days, narrated by Toyah Wilcox.
Cold and dreary here although I see that Pete says the IOM was warm and sunny today - lucky them!

Anonymous said...

I haven't finished crossword (what on earth is 2 Down - surprised I can't crack it, the long ones are usually easier).

I think the missing word must be 'ODIC' - it is not in either quite large dictionaries I have though! It is in a crossword puzzle dictionary, though. I don't understand the 'OD' bit, but the 'IC' could refer to the 99 - one off C (100). Think your 'decoked' is right.

I've been at Olympia the last two days, helping out at a Craft Fair, which is why I have been quiet......

At least your gold-finches are back in the garden. Did you see in the press about how West London is being over-run with those parakeets - I often see them in the garden here, they don't come to feeders unless it is frosty and very cold. They are incredibly noisy, but so colourful.

Good news about your health - long may it last.

Anonymous said...

The new £20 notes do look pretty but I suppose we shall soon get used to them.
I knew Adam Smith has an institute, something political, but had to google him to find out that he was an economist.

I am going to add the following to the blog comments before looking at what anyone else has to offer.
"23 across. Old pupil left 99 of the poems (4). We have ?D?C."
I think the ‘c’ must be correct (‘deed’ containing ‘coke’ without the ‘e’) but wonder about the ‘d’.
Could it be a ‘p’, to give ‘epic’ as the answer? Could 'epic' be construed as meaning ‘old’, as well as referring to ‘poems’? The ‘e’ is a puzzle but ‘p’ for port means ‘left’ and ‘IC’ is 99.

Speaking of coffee, Sandra ordered it in a north Notts hotel a week or so ago. She likes it black and strong. What she got was translucent brown water with no flavour. She sent it back and got another just the same. She complained again and the Maitre d’, properly concerned, apologised profusely and decided that the machine had to be stripped down. The reason was as clear as the ‘coffee’ had been.
The reason for the sub-standard brew immediately became obvious. It transpired that the supplier had delivered whole roast beans and a designated member of staff, uneducated in the nature of coffee, had loaded them in as was.

Anonymous said...

PS

I think Jill must be right

My Nuttall's Standard dictionary of 1908 gives:
Odic, a. pertaining to Od
and:
Od,s. a presumed all-pervading magnetic force (Odin).
(s. indicated 'substantive' or 'noun').

So where does 'left' come in - just because it is to the left of 'IC'?
Does that help?