Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Springlike but chilly - 5C - cool West wind

Didn't want to leave yesterday's dawn without showing you a picture at about the same time, perhaps a few minutes later, but looking North.

The red is solely due to the reflected light. I've left in the telephone cables and TV aerials because it looks genuine. And, following my recent diatribe in Amateur Photographer, I could do little else !

It will be nice to have Y back this evening and hear all the Palmers Green news. Stangely enough a card she had addressed to Debra, clearly written, correct in every respect and with the proper postcode was returned this morning by the Royal Mail marked "No such address exists".

She will also be interested to learn that we have some more house-viewers, at 10.30am tomorrow morning. Fortunately the house looks pretty good because this morning was Karen's morning and everywhere is clean and well hoovered.

Picture 2 is another gem I discovered in one of my charity shops for a £1. I'm finding it 'unputdownable'. But I've found this before with books allegedly for children.

Maybe it says a lot about my actual stage of mental development! We once toyed with the idea, many years ago, of tropical fish and scoured the library for something. I eventually found a book I could understand and said to Y "this is exactly what we are looking for". Then I read a paragraph which said "if one of your fish dies, you must get an adult to remove it from the tank".

I still took it out though and read it cover to cover with great interest.

As I've no doubt said before, I've never really progressed from Rupert Bear Annuals, and I do still like books with pictures in. Mind; I suppose I could quote in my defence a certain facility with The Telegraph Crossword - cryptic model of course, you have to know the answers to the other one rather than work 'em out.

Can't leave the anthology without a quote can I?

"The Sun doth arise,
and make happy the skies;
The merry bells ring
To welcome the Spring;
The blackbird and thrush,
The birds of the bush
Sing louder around
To the bells' cheerful sound."

Guess who wrote it. ...? OK. I'll tell. .William Blake. And he was a helluva' poet wasn't he? If he had made no other contribution to English Literature than 'Tyger Tyger burning Bright' ........and where would the Women's Institute be without Jerusalem?

I'm sure I shall bore everybody's pants off with endless jingles for the next few weeks.

Madeline sorted me out with my 'Gmail skins' and smileys. And I really like my new-look g-mail plus now the facility to insert pictures into the body of the text, and irritate people with animated emoticons.
Catch you tomorrow...............







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tuesday was a not quite ordinary day on the Boughton / Ollerton Frontier. On the upside, I did not have a broken toe for the first time since Monday.
We also had some excitement with our law-defying neighbour squatting halfway up a 24’ high holly tree (as our Danny said, “I expect he felt a bit of a *****”) When he wouldn’t descend, the police constable, the man from the council and the two fellers eventually went away and left him to it. Later in the day he kindly acknowledged me with a formal two-fingered salute. But I feel it is likely that he will find, in the immortal words of Fred Astaire, “There may be trouble ahead,” and that he will eventually have to “face the music,”.
I would love to tell you more but it would take up too much blogspace. Let’s just say it has been going on for over 5 years with neighbour playing the large immovable boulder and me as the drip gradually wearing it down.

I like the north facing sunrise photo and actually think the wires and stuff add to it..

I am writing this as your house viewers will just about have left. I hope they were suitably impressed and immediately offered you £20K more than the asking price (or, at least, showed some interest).

Re the postcard: although I have found that mail addressed simply to ‘Surname, Postcode’’ invariably arrives, I am more and more surprised that any mail gets delivered correctly. I’ll use email so far as possible and Pony Express if it fails.
Why do I always want to spell ‘surname’ as ‘sirname’? Perhaps because Latin was the one subject I failed in School Cert (although I was dead lucky with the Chemistry questions).

One book that I found fascinating (when in my twenties) was called ‘The Ways of the Ant’ by Richard Compton (I think). Although I am not sure it was aimed at children, they would certainly like it if fascinated by creepy crawlies as I am (I still have a few Airfix bits of 50 year old Libyan scorpions).

If you want picture books, I recommend ‘Fungus the Bogeyman’, ‘The Way the Wind Blows’ and ‘Fred & Ethel’, all by Raymond Briggs. Only ‘Fungus’ is written specifically for children and our Sireman the Fireman loved it in his early teens, before he moved on to Tolkien.

I am not sure that I trust a poet who cannot spell ‘tiger’ properly.
Mind you, if I adopted that as a principle (or, in this context, even a principal, as I find by consulting the dictionary. The things you do learn by being inquisitive and pedantic) it would put paid to Chaucer, wouldn’t it?

Yes, the icons do their job; ie, irritate!