Monday, October 23, 2006

Very Mild - To Mansfield Odeon

John sent me this picture of Berjyk Windmill in the Netherlands taken during their recent campervan holiday there.

The amazing thing is that it was taken on his new mobile phone.

It is a 3.2mega pixel job and I think the crispness and definition is quite remarkable. One can understand the appeal to people who want an easy to use, point and shoot facility, with good to very good results. And that goes for the overwhelming majority of people. Journalists must love them because they are so unobtrusive and must disturb subjects much less than having a large camera pointed at their faces.

Matt strikes again! I just couldn't resist this from yesterday's Sunday Telegraph. He is so unashamedly and gloriously politically incorrect. The nation is fortunate to have such talented people; particularly in view of our apparently silent and emasculated oppostion and a mealy-mouthed but useless government. And to think that Y and I nearly cried to see Tony Blair standing on the steps of 10 Downing Street. I do feel a bit bad because I didn't even buy the Sunday Telegraph, I read it online. But we buy the hardcopy Telegraph every weekday. And this isn't a commercial station. And I do regularly acknowledge Matt !

No matter, it will all sort itself. The electorate will sort it. As Dr. Johnson so wisely said of Britain "About things on which the public thinks long it commonly attains to think right".

In my spare time I'm still tussling with PhotoShop and also with Microsoft Office 2003. A way of transferring my gmail address/contacts book into Office doesn't spring to my notice. All my existing contacts were lost of course in the 'crash'. With gmail being web-based that was no problem. Microsoft seem to expect you to enter each contact individually but I'm sure there must be a simple solution - their help menu throws up zilch. I'll probably ask on WUforums - someone will have the answer.

We went to Mansfield as planned, after my blood-test (no results yet), and arrived in plenty of time for The History Boys. More will follow tomorrow. We both agreed that it was quite excellent. The we went to Halfords for Paul's birthday vouchers, and then home for tea.............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One I can get my teeth into today.

Yes, these mobile cameras do seem to have advantages. It could be my next choice (perfect for mini motor bikers and other PI work) but not till my £30 digital ‘Brownie’ or ‘Instamatic’ Premier DS-3080s gives up the ghost.

Matt’s cartoon is terrific; and he does it without being at all vindictive. He is always good (I think, because I seldom see him) and brilliant more often than he has a right to be.

Whatever Dr Johnson said (and I’m surprised you knew him, what with his surgery being at Bilsthorpe) I feel less sanguine than you do about our political future.
It is hard to see Blair leaving anyone behind who will we able to do a rescue job; Cameron appearing to be a pleasant sort of a chap doesn’t look quite good enough to me; the Lib-Dems appear to have taken several steps backwards (not without falling over); asylum seekers, immigrants, Ken Livingstone and George Galloway have ruined the chances of the far left.
So, unless the Fascists are as incompetent and unconvincing as everyone else, they should goose-step into power, jackboots gleaming, if they can only get enough establishment support. I think Phil the Greek must be past it and Charles is a non-starter. William displays no signs of the dodgy side of his great-great uncle Edward (who was loved by the Working Class) which gives cause for some optimism unless he follows his mother down the tunnel – in which case I would have no great faith in Harry. Apart from him, does anyone under 70 watch the oft repeated TV programmes about the rise of Hitler?
But hold on! Perhaps, with so much at stake, Clare Short will come riding up to the rescue like Joan of Arc (but hopefully with greater success).
Would all that have occurred to me if I had not just finished half reading Francis Wheen’s ‘Mumbo-Jumbo’?

I reckon that making outrageous critical assessments becomes progressively easier as one gets older. It matters less and less what other people think, and they do not have so much time to seek revenge.

I think every time I gmail a new person their addresses are automatically put on my contact list. But I could be wrong.