Friday, October 20, 2006

New Mechanics - Old Poly

This is The New Mechanics where our class is held. It is right at the bottom of North Sherwood Street which is no longer a through-way, as you will see from picture 2.

I straightened the verticles a little in PhotoShop but there was little to compensate for the fact that it was a damp and dull morning and the lighting was terrible.

A pleasantly designed building which seems to function efficiently. The old Mechanics was fairly good too, but has been flattened in the redevelopment of Trinity Square. What with a new Slab Square (Market Square) not very far away, we soon shan't recognise the old place. In my opinion it would be good idea to demolish Victoria Centre while they are at it. It always has been dreary - apart from the Roland Emmet clock which fascinates children and adults alike.

Picture 2 is from the bottom of North Sherwood Street. The whiteish building, top left, is what used to be the main Polytechnic building and the older, classy looking stone buiding in the middle is The Arkwright uilding which used to be the main library. To my immediate left (out of picture) is The Orange Tree, ex Clinton Arms of which I spoke earlier.

I've messed-about with PhotoShop and worked on some pictures from Eastwood Photographic Association. They gave you 3 on a CD and invited you to modify them to your own choice. And then they are going to look at everyone's efforts. Could be fun !

Just after lunch I picked Y up from the tram, and it's nice to have her home. She's enjoyed her visit though. On the way I stopped at our 'bean-man' because he had buckets of freshly cut chrysanths outside his gate. I bought some for Y and by the time I got to the tram, the car was filled by that distinctive smell. One of my favourite Lawrence short stories is The Odour of Chrysanthemums. Beautifully written, as you would expect, and the aroma pervades the story, so to speak.

Strictly Come Dancing at 6.30pm and then Simon Sharma on the importance of art at 9pm.

Toodle pip..................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such sweet irony!
In true Sod’s Law fashion, after being told by Radiog on Tuesday that there is seldom rain at daybreak, what do we have on Thursday and Friday but two mornings of dawn downpour. A typical trap of the gods.

Re 'Odour of Chrysanthemums' I wrote a parody called 'Essence of Geraniums' which I was fortunate enough to have published, in part, in 'Staple' magazine's Lawrence Memorial (Centennial?) edition, way back in the 70s or 80s. The late Geoff Sadler (nom-de-plume Jeff Sadler) also had a poem therein. On balance I prefer Geoff's poetry and academic writing to his fiction - and I prefer almost anything to Lawrence - apart from 'The Fox' and some of his poetry. While admiring his skills and his influence, I find his novels amazingly tedious and far too serious.

Anonymous said...

Nothing till the BBC1 News at 6.00, then Emmerdale Corrie, Eastenders, Corrie2, the new Caroline Quentin detective series which seemed a bit pointless, IQ and Jonathan Ross.

Anonymous said...

Playing catch-up. The following is my comment on Tuesady's blog.

Sorry you missed the GoldenGate

Being fairly easily satisfied in most respects, I find that TV screen photos serve their purpose quite adequately (but I have never appreciated the need for Hi-Fi sound either). I enlarged the old building as far as possible and, although a little blurred it did the job.

Yes, you are right – it IS a spider. Perhaps it was CROSS at being disturbed? Why not try snails for unblurred action photos?

I suspect you are right about getting shut of the developing tanks – unless they can be used as an alternative to cosmetic surgery.

Re cameras, I STILL think 3mp is plenty unless you really want detailed close-ups of insects, etc.
And I have found that it does not need knowledge to ‘drop killer facts’, just confidence (accuracy is unimportant, especially when giving direstions). There is only ever a remote chance of someone being present.who (confidently) knows enough to dispute. I have used this technique most effectively when ‘After Dinner Speaking’.

My best gremlin hides things exactly where I know that I put them (and looked for them several times) only to reveal them (usually to Sandra) after two or three hours spent fruitlessly searching in all the ridiculously unlikely places. A couple of weeks ago, Dan's girl friend asked if I could let her have any old neckties for her creative work with children (making snakes). I found a couple of dozen and put them in a Tesco bag in the garage where she could pick them up if we were both out when she called. Sandra did not like where i had put them and removed them to the top of the freezer. I later needed access to search through the freezer and moved them again. When Emma came, none of us could find them. The only other person known to have been in the garage was Roy, who had been working in there one day, and he knew nothing. Yesterday Sandra discovered them in the freezer. That's gremlins for you.

I attach below my interim report (for ‘Roundabout’, the local community newspaper) on yesterday’s day trip to Whitby

“BANANA SAVES LIFE
On 17th October Bungus joined a party of Sherwood Foragers led by Volunteer Countryside Ranger Mick Bennett on a coach trip to Whitby which, because of an hour long traffic jam, took over four hours.
The purpose was a Special Forces’ style mountaineering endurance march, and the banana, which had been plucked dark green from its tree shortly before the 7,30 departure, was consumed, when black with brown spots, at the ten second ‘R & R’ break halfway round the course.
Although ‘occasional rain’ had been forecast a few days earlier, the weather turned out to be very warm with sun frequently breaking through the general mistiness and poor visibility. But mostly it was macro scenery anyway, which was inferior to that on several shorter, flatter walks in the Ollerton district.
Excellent fish & chips and a welcome pint preceded a 5pm departure and the uneventful 2 hour ten minutes journey back to the Geordie Club.”

As a result of the above, I suffered hamstring cramp once while watching Man Utd beat Copenhagen and twice more during the night. I also woke feeling how Sandra and RadioG must feel every morning, ie, unable to move. But I managed to drag myself out of bed eventually and even took Ralph for a short slow walk (he was having to wait for me, which is somewhat unusual recently).