Saturday, October 07, 2006

Sharpey and The Pill Box

It is best first to explain about 'Sharpey' alias Sean Bean. A 'Lisa to Steve' Xmas present was a boxed set of Sharpe DVDs and I must admit that both Y and I are fans, so we were lent them and have watched them pretty quickly. I've missed out on a couple but have much enjoyed those I have watched. The only one missing from the box was the Waterloo episode but it isn't lost and we look forward to it in due course.

The picture is simply a photo from the outside of the box. And it almost goes without saying my loverly Nikon did a super job.

I don't think it would stand being enlarged much further. But I shall know better when I have published this and can check.

Picture 2 is the box I keep my tablets in. After watching the first episode I realised that the soldier pictured on the right is in Napoleonic Wars period uniform and has a muzzle loader. I particularly noted the helmet which, unfortunately, Sean Bean is not wearing a version of.

Steve concurs with my analysis and, from his professional knowledge confirms that the box is very old and beautifully made. The lid is actually screwed onto the side pieces with tiny brass screws. Rather than leave you with the impression that I need a rifle-box full of tablets, its dimensions are just over 5 x 8 inches by 1 inch deep and probably housed a small pistol.

The last picture is an 'enlarge and crop' of the soldier standing on the right - so you can see his helmet and muzzle-loading rifle. And the rest of his uniform and the background tents etc.

Saturday has been a quiet day for us. A Rest Day in fact, which we have enjoyed. Plenty of pots of tea etc. Reasonably fine and mild weatherwise and Y managed an hour in the garden this afternoon. She was keen to do some cutting-back while the council are still collecting garden waste.

Tomorrow I have my PhotoShop One Day School at Greasley Miner's Welfare. And I am really looking forwad to it because although I seem to have installed the programme successfully I'm hopeless with it. Even though a hard-copy manual accompanied the disc it seems terribly difficult to understand and I need hands-on tuition and guidance. Here's hoping it works out !!

A full report will follow...............tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It wouldn’t do for us all to like the same things, would it?
I never found Sharpe enthralling enough to watch a full episode and I doubt if Sandra (largely a telephobe with the exception of ‘East Enders’) would have heard of it.
Also, although we were given a DVD player for Xmas 2004, we have never watched a DVD (unless S has been cajoled into watching a kids’ film) from our modest collection. I’ve been too busy keeping up with ‘Ermmerdale’ and ‘The X Factor’ I suppose.

It is a very nice box but, if the lid is screwed to the sides, how do you open it? (I am reminded of an Erskine Calder sculpture which, having been completed, was placed in a steel box and the lid welded on).

Good Luck with PhotoShop. It sounds fearsome. I’ll stick with Picasa unless I have some particular printing needs.