Thursday, October 05, 2006

Busy Day - Frustrating - Then Success

A quiter canal picture today. Commenters have said that the first picture yesterday was too bright - the word 'garish' was not actually used - just implied. So I thought, subdued lighting, subtle colours, view through the trees etc., - sorry about the van but you know what 'white van men' are like. They park anywhere they like - smack in the middle of one's 'shot' for instance. Must confess that I only noticed it when I downloaded the picture.

Picture 2 is a hangover from Mansfield Museum. Byron's bust, in bronze of course, and apparently copied from one in Athens.

Somewhat over-romanticised for my taste I fear - But that's Greek culture for you. And of course, he was extremely popular there, having organised their army agin' the Turks. He is buried in Hucknall Church and Y was instrumental in getting the appropriate 'brown & white' signs erected in suitable places. Sometimes people don't realise the importance of what they've got until some perceptive and industrious person points it out and takes some action. I don't think Nottingham makes nearly enough of Alan Sillitoe for instance. A major 20th century novelist and almost completely ignored. If I was 20yrs younger I'd deal with it. The pub with the green tiles - the setting for the famous scene in Saturday Night Sunday Morning is still there, but for how much longer?


Mixed day computer-wise. I successfully set up my Photoshop Elements. Then I tried to download my old Casio pictures from the data DVD the computer bloke had rescued from the old lappy. I found 1305 on there and it took hours and hours for them to upload. Obviously something went awry because when I checked what I'd got I only found 45. Then I remembered that I had downloaded pictures up to July 06 onto a 1GB Flash drive. Unfortunately I had packed it. But when I found it they uploaded without any demur.

While Y was still over at Burton Joyce Hannah wanted to send me an email with a picture she had done. We finally succeeded !!

I must go up and see Beryl in the morning. The poor love has got mice - which means that Y won't be visiting until there is solid evidence of their eradication. Karen has been putting bait down and clearing up. Even the bottom of some curtains has been nibbled. My view is, the Pest Control man with some old-fashioned traps is called for.

Byeeee....................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That’s the word I was looking for! Garish!
And yes, I do like this shady picture. I am not surprised you were unaware of the white van; I don’t think it obtrudes greatly (certainly less offensive, to me, than yesterday’s buildings). And I understand that the drivers of white vans frequently complain at having to swerve and drop below 50mph to avoid photographers seeking perfect viewpoints,

I enlarged the Byron photo and and the clarity (eg, of the simulated wood grain) is amazing.
But are things Greeks over-romanticised? I've never heard that before.

Anonymous said...

I preferred the brightness of the previous picture and no, it is not garish, just cheerful and colourful - we could all do with a bit more of that.....

Your Maltese correspondent is back - with a rotten cold - and not a photo to show - Ro thought I had taken my camera, I thought he had taken his - what you call a craft moment (I do like that!).

Anonymous said...

I like all the pics of the canals, very serene. When we lived in Birmingham we spent a lot of time visiting different canal systems and it's one thing that we miss living here on the Isle of Man. Our favourite places were Tardibigge, Hatton Locks, The Bratch and best of all the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct on the Llangollen canal system....keep the pics coming