Sunday, March 26, 2006

Mother's Day - Bright start - Rain later



I bought this milk-jug cover in the oldfashioned Haberdashery shop in Eastwood. Not seen one in years. My grandma used to insist on one over her milk-jug, on her breakfast tray which my mum took slavishly up to her room each morning ! She also had an oval silver-dish with a domed lid in which her rasher of bacon went. It's ages since I've seen one of those to.

My grandma had style! She was born in 1867 and, a great link with the past which I treasure, told me of her grandad telling her - about the bonfires on Ashbourne Green after The Battle of Trafalgar. I suppose they were 'beacons' rather than 'bonfires' but a minor point.

A lovely morning to start with, after the clouds had started to break up, but then by afternoon it was raining and still is. The temperature has been up as far as 15C and quite a lot of daffodils have decided to bloom. Yvonne had a super Mother's Day and the kids took her and Val (Lisa's mum) to a recommended restaurant at Redmile. Apparently the meal was fine although Tracy seemed a little undecided about the main-course. I went over to Sherwood to collect Yvonne around tea-time, had loads of cups of tea and a few fancies. Lisa's Dad, John, was very unsteady on his feet but very game. I had a smashing half-hour 'webchat' with Steven and promised to send him Walagata and Belarc both of which are new to him. A 'webchat' sounds like a dainty little marsh-bird don't you think? Yvonne came home armed with the statutory floral display, which included stocks, and the inside of the car smelt uncharacteristically fresh! It's 10yrs since my mum died and 3 years since Yvonne's.

Had a nice chat with David and they are all OK. And there was a pleasant post, from 'Madeline' on WUforum, saying she didn't find my Blog boring. I think I now have at least 4 readers, apart from family. Madeline is an experienced WUforum-hand and really knows her way around IT matters. She is a great help to us 'learners' and to many who are far from novices.

David is going to try and sort out my 'working offline' request. He say that I could simply 'save' a site as a document to read at leisure. But, say I did bbc.co.uk 'front page' with all it's links I could just read it 'offline'. It would not update itself, as I understand it would if I learnt about 'synchronise' etc. I shall get there because I think Brian Owen knows how to do it to. With my Wi-Fi broadband, it's difficult to kitchen-test solutions because in order to get 'offline' I have to go and disconnect the modem and the router and everything. Which is a 'faff' and involves half-crawling under the sideboard. I don't like asking Yvonne all the time because it's no more pleasant for her. Hey Nonny Nonny No !

No comments: