Thursday, March 30, 2006

Greasley Church - Still Lawrence Country


This is Greasley Church which we see on the left as we are driving home from Nottingham. It is a gorgeous view from the road. When you draw level with the churchyard which lies between the church and the road, there are some glorious mature beeches. You can just about see their tops in the picture and they must have been well know to DHL even if a tad smaller when he was around.

Talking pictures to Bob we discussed the Golden Section; which is often mis-identified by photographers as the rule of thirds. It is nearly that but not quite and I don't want to bore people with the details. One interesting aside though - we have some attractive wooden cheese-platters which Tracy admired so much we bought her two sets - she entertains more people than we do these days. She was saying how much she liked them and how popular they were proving. I explained to her that each one was a golden-mean rectangle, which is the most pleasing rectangular shape to the human eye and that the principle was well known to the Ancient Greeks and had been used in Art and Architecture ever since. I told her I would stop there rather be boring and she said "That was halfway interesting". Praise indeed !

It was necessary for me to get going this morning because I had promised to get Beryl some milk and bread. I took it up to her and made her a slice of toast. She dutifully nibbled half of it, because I was there; then asked me to put the other half out for the birds. Unfortunately she couldn't remember where the backdoor key is kept. At around 11am I left. Kath rang during the evening and told me that they went over at noon. By then Beryl had forgotten that I had been. She doesn't seem well enough to be looking after herself but the Hospitals are so keen to discharge people. OK Steve - That's enough about illness !!

Spent a good half hour this morning looking for my wallet. Eventually found it on the car-seat where it had slipped out of my tracksuit hip pocket. Yvonne warned me only the other day how insecure it looked. I must keep it in a jacket pocket or wear 'proper' trousers.

The Culture Show was very good again. A rare interview with Scott Walker and also with Brian Eno and Jarvis Cocker. There was some excellent stuff about modern architecture which I had to miss due to Kath's call. But I was recording it anyway for Yvonne, so I will catch the missing bits tomorrow.

1 comment:

mannanan said...

Cracking photos over the last few days. Keep them coming.