Thursday, March 30, 2006

D.H.Lawrence and Moorgreen Reservoir

".... the lake was still and blue. High overhead a heron floated. Opposite, the wood heaped on the hill, green and still."

D. H. Lawrence. Country of My Heart.



Although known amongst the older generation of Eastwood residents as 'him what wrote them mucky books' Lawrence was a superb writer about nature. Personally, I have always preferred his essays and poetry to his novels.

Yesterday, Wednesday, when the photograph was taken was I suppose, a typical April day, albeit only March. Some sun, some cloud, some showers !
I had tried to get pictures of Moorgreen and Greasley Church on my way back from dropping Yvonne at the tram in the morning. But it was overcast and, although I enjoy some image manipulation , I don't approve of fake skies imported from other pictures and things like that. In any case, they never look quite right. The light in other parts of the image gives the game away. So, in the afternoon when the sun came out I nipped back and took some more.

Yvonne is at Palmer's Green 'grannying' till Saturday morning. It's six weeks since she saw the London branch and she is really looking forward to it. Although she keeps clothes etc down there she has gone down laden as usual with treats for the girls, things like that, and even half a dozen eggs from our egg-man up the road because they have such a lovely flavour. Whenever we go past we like to see the chickens scratching about outside. No battery-cages for those young ladies. Often when one goes for eggs, he takes a box and collects them there and then. Before Yvonne takes them to London however, I clean them up abit because we don't want their 'rustic' appearance to put the children off fresh eggs.

All my activity resulted in swollen ankles again and I also had what used to be called a 'bilious bout' so I ended up in bed. I'd eaten some reheated stew but it had been frozen and was therefore (getting back to street-cries) only one-day-in-the-pot, effectively. But bearing in mind Steven's dictum about "too much about people being ill' I'll stop right there". We had heard from Kath that Beryl was being released from Hospital and that she was returning her to her own home. In the evening Beryl rang. Far from sounding forgetful she did, in fact, sound very with-it and more like her old self. I said I would go up in the morning to see her and take her some bread and milk and things. Wouldn't you have thought ................ ?

I still haven't uninstalled Norton and I'm sure Ray thinks I'm being 'cowardy custard' about it and I guess he's right. But the way I felt, I couldn't have uninstalled a BSA Bantam let alone a Norton.

A little news-snippet - Tom Jones had been given a Knighthood. He deserves it.

No comments: