Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Grandma's sampler. Wet day



Carrying on with the theme of family history I was keen to include this picture of my gran's sampler. It was Yvonne's idea to include it. And a jolly good idea it was too ! Gran's maiden-name, as is obvious from the sampler, was Wood and she did this when she was eleven. Her father was a carpenter in the village of Denstone and made the hall-table which we are fortunate enough to still have.

Sorry for the bit of glare in the top left of the picture but you can see everything in reasonable detail.

John received his ecard and I rang him to wish him Happy Birthday. Mobile to mobile because he was at work and as he wanted to chat I ran my phone right out of credit ! Not to worry it was much more important to chat to my eldest son. He emailed me a picture of his Merc sportscar -

I asked him if was having a mid-life crisis? and he said that, as he was still happily married, he and Yvonne would have a mid-life crisis together and enjoy the car ! Good luck to them both. My daughter-in-law is also Yvonne.

Pretty wet and windy again today and we have daffodils blooming all over the garden. It only seems a few days since I was complaining that we hadn't any.

We had quite a busy day. I had my blood-test, Yvonne had a hair appointment, then we went to Ikea and decided to have lunch. Their restaurant is a real 'come-on' for the store. We had a main course each, a delicious fancy for puds and 2 mugs of coffee each. Total cost for the two of us £7.85p. After that the shopping - Lidl followed by Morrisons. When we got home I was completely done for. No stamina anymore. I had said to Ray that I was going to follow his clear guide to uninstalling Norton in safe-mode today but I couldn't uninstall a BSA Bantam let alone a Norton. It will just have to wait.

Brian Sewell's Grand Tour was on TV (Channel 5 if you are lucky enough to receive it) and, yet again, we thought it great. He is as camp as a 'nine bob note' as we used to say, but quite charming and he really knows his stuff. Excellent television. Just a little p.s. we have discovered Soya & Linseed bread. It makes first-rate toast and I had 2 slices with Chicken & Tarragon pate for tea.

No comments: