Monday, March 20, 2006

Cold again - but a trip to Nottingham





First off Yvonne checked which Ward Beryl was currently in and we decided to drive to QMC and take a chance on finding somewhere to park. It only took us less than half an hour to get there and we found a disabled spot straight away. Eventually we found the Ward, that place is a nightmare; she was a bit brighter but still frail. Kate was there which was nice and when Beryl is well enough to be released, Kate is going to take her to live with her in Cirencester. A marvellous solution and Beryl seemed quite agreeable. Kate lives in this lovely big house wth a courtyard and also has a bungalow by the sea. Who could argue with such an offer!

We then drove into Nottingham and again were real lucky and found a spot at the top of St.Peter's Gate (see picture 2) - Waterstones is about my favourite place in Nottingham but I couldn't justify nipping in today. I would only have bought another book and I've got loads to read at the moment. So I took a picture instead. In a series of short stages I managed it onto Parliament Street and bought some lithium batteries from The Battery Man for the bathroom -scales. Mind you, it's been a relief having them out of action. Then to Cappocis for lunch. We both arrived literally at the same moment. Yvonne had been down to Bromley House to return some books and knew that my jobs would take me a long time. Very good meals - I won't bore you today with the details - and it is such a handy spot. Then Yvonne shot off to get something from Early Learning and I made my way slowly back to St Peters Gate. Passed the Market Square which is being completely revamped, hence photo. 1. (I did a little manipulation on both and realise that I've managed to make them look as if taken on different days - I must be more careful in future). And I saw a real policeman, a tall one, who looked just right for central. I introduced myself and we had a good chunter about community support officers and the like, who seem to do little more than walk about in twos chatting to each other, oblivious to their surroundings.

From there to the Railway Station to get Yvonne's ticket for London next week. A young chap who has served her before did the necessary - £10.60p return! Admittedly, with her senior rail card - but you certainly couldn't do it in a car for that.

Then to the Radford Boulevard Complex because we needed things from Aldi (groceries) Maplins (an Air Duster to clean my keyboard) and Dunelm Mills (flannels). In Aldi I saw Peter Brown who was a young policeman on my section at Canning Circus way back in the 70s. It used to be a standing joke that whenever anyone saw him they used to say "Its Peter Brown!" I remembered and shouted it across an aisle in Aldi. He remembered my name too and we had a good long chat. He is well and truly retired but was head-hunted for a 'community type' job which he is still doing.

Got home and slumped. It was the Hospital visiting that really did for me. Poor Beryl being stuck in a ward with alzheimars patients in it, because she is still so bright and with-it. So depressing.

No comments: