Wednesday, April 16, 2008

WoW at Alport - Good day - Poor light

This morning we had a good turn-out for WoW. There were 6 of us, Helen, Brian S, Kevin, Mike, Reg and me.

Alport was the destination and as usual the chaps parked me down in the village and went for a walk up on the top. I am counting Helen as an honorary chap on this occasion - I hope she doesn't mind. A well photographed spot but I was fortunate to capture this chap with a good 'puther' (Derbyshire lingo for a smoky bonfire). Other local words for bonfires will be gratefully received.

To start with he was wearing a dull blue anorak but, as he warmed to his task he took it off. His red sweater couldn't be better on a dull day. I sought, and was granted, permission to take the snap.

I enjoyed my thermos, and a book and Radio 4. It was quite cold and breezy and by the time we all met up I had transferred my pictures to the laptop. Helen had great fun with her new DSLR and I am much looking forward to seeing some results.

Picture 2 is one of the frequently snapped views in the village but none the worse for that. In fact, looking at the 'link' I prefer my version anyway.

When we met up I learnt of their 'near death experience' with a cow and calf. The cow, obviously concerened for her calf, charged shortly after Kevin had managed this peaceful looking snap.

Disaster was only averted apparently by Mike using his tripod in a touché gesture which caused the critter to screech to a halt, and Reg managed this snap of the resultant skid-marks.

After all this excitement we decided on The Miners Standard at Winster for our chip-cobs. A charming pub and if you open the link there's lots about the lead miners and the origin of the pub's name

Almost mischeviously the sun, as we approaced the pub, caqme out and remained out while we sat inside. When we emerged it vanished again. Never mind, it is April after all.

Whern I arrived home the new TV stand flat-pack had arrived and, after a sit down and a pot of tea, I decided to assemble it. No problems at all. Straightforward instructions, all the bits were there, and it took me around an hour with frequent stops. I've already used lots of pictures today, so you will have to wait till tomorrow. I'm not on a quota or anything but I don't like to inclde too many. And now I have 'guest' pictures (and they are most welcome) I don't want the blog to become uncomfortably long.

I'm off to bed because I'm flat-packered. Catch you tomorrow. Please excuse me for not answering your 'comments' individually. My disability assessor returns tomorrow. It will be interesting to hear what she has decided for me.


..... Sleep tight !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the pic of the man in his garden but, as a layman, I would be inclined to crop it at the tree on the left (the other pic is attractive too, but more touristy as you say).

'Puther' is not confined to Derbys (I was rather surprised not to find it in the dictionary). No other bonfire words spring to mind though, except ‘firework’ (that’s a strange word too; why ‘work’?).

Is it Helen your daughter-in-law? Or some unkown?

People expect aggression from bulls (often unjustifiably but best not mess!) but cows can be fiercer than people suppose. They are big heavy creatures and I believe they have been known to cause death.
I recall going out into the country (just before the war started I think) with my uncle, who had a car. We, five of us, had gone into a field, probably mushrooming, when one of several cows decide to take a closer look at us. My aunt, of a nervous disposition in respect of animals, decide to run for the fence. The cow took up the chase so we all ran, except my dad who grabbed a rotten stick from the hedge and assumed matador role. The puzzled cow stopped and we all got over the fence safely.

Rob:

I think Stockton is rather a long way. Near Middlesborough I suppose. If you were driving I certainly don’t envy you!

Please don’t overpraise; I am not consistently good!

I am not familiar with Doisneau. Jane Bown did one of a farmer leaning over a wall; probably looking at a sheep.
I think my first ‘backshot’ was of a crowd at Wheelus Airbase, Tripoli (the largest US airbase outside the States). The Yanks, as is their wont, had organised a rodeo, using camels rather than horses. It was boring (as I believe all rodeos are, with long periods of nothing happening) and a flop.