Saturday, April 28, 2007

Renishaw Pictures Still - Canal Walk - Nice Day

The bluebell woods and dappled shade path pictures will eventually come to an end - I promise. But I took so many and 'murdering my little darlings' (to paraphrase Hemingway? when asked to edit) is hard to do.

Thanks folks for your lovely and helpful comments. I think they are a key component of the blog. And when it is taken up by a major publishing house (I favour Faber & Faber myself) you will all be famous. Te he! I'm not even a teeny bit serious. I just love doing the blog and selecting its daily pictures and perhaps occasionally posting a helpful link.

Talking of which, I pointed Bungus in the direction of ArtDaily and I think he is now an avid reader. Complete freebie, Macafee happy, and you can subscribe and receive a daily edition. Although it is an American publication it keeps one uptodate with happenings in the art-world and the pictures are great. The also publish art-videos and there is a reference library and much more. It is a nice site, attractively laid out and easily navigable. Not necessary to read from beginning to end, but easy to skim read for anything which might be of interest.

Renishaw has an abundance of interesting vistas, like Picture 2. Statues in great number and some of them v.good. The topiary is also straightforward and not fussy.

The house and estate are the family home of the Sitwell family and one can't actually go inside the house because they live there. Except as part of a pre-arranged tour; which seems fair enough to me. We aren't keen on unannouced visitors to our 3 bedroomed bungalow either.

We seem to have had an unusually busy day. I went to the butchers early to collect our order. This happens about bi-monthly and it takes me a good hour to cut steak up, wrap into 2 portions, wrap sausages into 4s, etc...... It is much better than supermarket stuff though and less waste in consequence of the individual wrapping. Then after lunch we did a canal walk and it seems that the mallard and 6 chicks are no longer with us. A lady said that the duck had lost 3 then another 2 and then presumably the last one. It isn't possible of course, to recognise the particular mallard without her chicks. Oh well - a fox probably.

Nice walk though and very warm - we had the best part of the day because now the sun is going down so is the temperature and there is a strong wind. Not as bad as the poor people in Kent though with their earthquake.

There was a silly bit in the papers the other day about robins singing at night and 'was it because of the street lighting'? As far as I'm aware Robins have always sung at night. Being on foot on a beat in the middle of the night I would so often hear a robin singing away. Cheery chaps that they are. My window is open and I can hear one at this very minute.

I enjoyed this today, on my born-again google homepage:-

There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
- James Thurber

These are for my readers. Sleep tight. Catch you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never before heard ‘murdering your darlings’ attributed to Hemingway, but I have always understood it to be regarded as good advice for would-be writers.

And I don’t know about robins singing at night but there is a bloody great crow which comes and sits just outside the bedroom window and wakes me at about 7 o’clock in the morning with its raucous calls.

PS
I agree with Madeline’s comment yesterday about the bluebells. Ours originally came from my parents’ garden where they had been for many years and probably came from the wild before it was illegal. But obviously they have been invaded and transmuted (as, I understand, have Wordsworth’s daffodils). The Spanish and hybrids are still pretty though which I suppose is why people plant them. We have a local group ‘The Friends and Users of Boughton Brake’ (although ‘brake’ means ‘bracken’ it is an area of woodland) and they have accepted gifts of bluebells from wellwishers which I suspect and fear will have included the Armada. In Wellow Wood (Forestry Commission) we have loads which I think are largely natives. Also, blooming just before them, Wood Anemones, which I like even better.

As for Jill’s Yorkshire Pud – can she possibly have made the most common elementary mistake and accidentally used Self Raising Flour?

Not being one to let a subject drop while it still has breath: the Arabic symbol (is it a cryptogram or a hieroglyph?) for ‘Farewell’ (an extended ‘S’ with two dots beneath) is almost an ogee curve (but so are many of their other words!).
ي