Thursday, April 26, 2007

EPS tonight - 15C - 'orrible PC problems

A very quick blog this evening I'm afraid because I am in the midst of computer problems.

I left Google and Firefox and returned to IE and an old Yahoo account to see if I had problems putting a comment on my blog. I didn't and I think the trick is that, if you get a window asking you for google ID and a password, you just click 'cancel' and carry on.

Trouble was when I returned to Google and Firefox I had lost my Google Homepage complete with all it's add-ons. My notes, webcams, photo forums, ..everything. I tried a 'system restore' but no good. I shall have to build it up again from scratch. Ho Hm! as Ray says.

So if any 'comments' remain unanswered, I apologise.

Picture 1 is Roy and Reg on the 'dappled shade' path leading round Clumber Lake from the Hardwick Village end, and I hope they don't mind me publishing it. I shall see them both this evening and if they have objections, I'll return later and edit.

Picture 2 is another lovely swan, taken with Reg's 300mm Sigma which seems to have the edge on my Tamron.

But I bet his was more than £99 and I can live with the Tamron. It just needs careful and fiddle use.

Y has gone over to BJ for granny duty; I shall collect her from the tram shortly afer 6pm and then go on to Eastwood. My keyoard has started missing letters again and I have to keep going back to nsert tem. I've left the last sentence as is, so you can see the problem.

It must have been good for Anon 1 to see 'Liberty of the Seas' depart. There have been pictures in the Telegraph and she looks a magnificent vessel.

Talking of the Telegraph, Matt was in form again yesterday. Although he is being witty and making a point, can see it coming to what is depicted.

Y just rang to say her bus is delayed so I have a little more time than I anticipated.

Bungus is quite right about the 'ogee' curve and Hogarths 'Line of Beauty' but I had only come across 'ogee' in relation to Ogee Arches which were double ogees joined at the top, and art-historically to decribe a style of frame-mouldings. Wiki tells me that the word came in around 15th century. But I am certain that the Greeks would ave thought of it first. They mostly did !

It's the camera club AGM tonight and I hope Reg, Roy and Duggie are spared from the undue nit-picking which frequently occurs at such meetings.

No mobile phone picture from John today. I wonder where they have reached?

An argumentative club member. Not just ours - they are everywhere.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am quite often pleased that I don’t bogger about. You do seem to land yourself with all sorts of problems. But I don’t suppose I would ever have discovered America or penicillin.

I would like to have seen Roy and Reg on your curved path photo (but, of course, I am NOT suggesting they should be imported!) and Reg's swan pic is impressive.

For anyone who may be interested, the Ancient Greeks may not have called it ‘ogee’ (my dictionary does not give an origin) but they must have had a word for it :
“… the ogee profile … (is)… part of the standard classical decorative vocabulary, adopted from architrave and cornice mouldings of the (Greek and Roman) Ionic order and Corinthian order.”

ANECDOTE
During World War II, the artist Pablo Picasso suffered some harassment from the Gestapo in Nazi-occupied Paris.
An inquisitive German officer, coming into his apartment, noticed a photograph of his painting 'Guernica' lying on a table.
"Did you do that?" he asked Picasso.
"No, you did," said Picasso.
(from ArtsDaily)

I am curious that a comment should have been 'edited out' yesterday ...
ي

Unknown said...

Your daily blogs, as always, are a joy, especially your photos! However, I did think the bluebells were a bit too bright blue, not like the ones in our garden!
Sorry to read of your problems with Firefox. Would I be right in assuming that, apart from the problems you mentioned, everything else is there, such as Bookmarks, Add-ons (themes & extensions), Toolbar customisations?
If so, try going to the following Google page:
http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en
Click on "Sign in" in the top right hand corner, enter your gmail address and password on the next page and see if that takes you to your Google homepage as it was.
I don't know if you had it as your homepage in Firefox, but if so, you can reset it as such in Tools>Options on the Main tab. I hope this works, it could save you a lot of messing about!