Monday, April 02, 2007

Quick sortie to Arnold - 13C - Less wind

After all that lead up - here is the full moon from my bedroom window around 4.20am, looking SouthWest.

I know it's abit fuzzy but what do you expect. Usually around that time I'm awake and making tea and things so it wasn't a particular effort on my part. Once we've been through all the phases and discovered the correct names I intend to delete that add-on and substitute something a little mor exciting. Suggestions please from Google Homepage people.

Re: The Queen Mary 2. I thought they were ahead timewise, but Bungus makes a good point and they may be behind. A crucial point which we weren't told was where they were sailing from - to Florida. Anyway. Thanks Anon1 for telling us they have now docked. And I missed it. I've looked at the WebCam today and aren't they high up?

The smileys are from Smiley Xtra and that is the link to their homepage. It seems that you need to be using Firefox because it is one of their add-ons. Just in case you don't use Firefox I've linked that too. It's a super browser and I wouldn't dream of going back to IE6/7

We decided on a quick trip to Arnold again. to shop at Sainsburys and have a look at the shops in general.

So it would have been rude not to call at Joan's for coffee. Picture 2 is a bit of Joan's conservatory and her elbow is left in to add human interest. She is a great believer in using available space - every corner of it. If one offers her something gardenwise she always says "I'll find room for it somewhere"

Then to Arnold shops and finally to the supermarket and then home for a late lunch. Cornbeef sandwiches with very fresh and crusty Tiger bread, plus of course, the statutory Branston. Jacket potato and salad this evening ! Ho hum! as Ray says

My Camera Club 'subject' for the coming year, you pick one out of a hat, is 'Pairs'. Not easy but it did make me think. Why are underpants, a singular garment surely, called a 'pair' - while a bra, definitely a plural garment if ever I saw one, is in the singular ? This lateral thinking can be a real timewaster sometimes.

For Anon 1's children.....and this, if they like bananas

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recognised the moon immediately. It’s just like mine!

You say, “I intend to delete that add-on and substitute something a little more exciting.”
Cannot help here I’m afraid because I don’t know what you are on about!

I had assumed, apparently correctly, that the QM2 was sailing across the Atlantic to Florida from Europe, as is usual.
I think the only way time could have gone backwards was if they were coming at it from the Gulf of Mexico?
“…they MAY be behind” !!!! you say.
Of course, the Americans would LIKE you to think they are ahead of us. But I would really sort of have expected you to know that the day starts in New Zealand where the sun rises first and ends in Alaska (International Date Line).
I’ve checked that and Tonga/Samoa is more accurate.

Tiger bread is way down my list when I am buying bread – just above cheapo white sliced. I think bread is the one thing that Tesco do far better than any other supermarket in terms of both choice and quality. Except, possibly, Waitrose (who charge 50% more).
And I am surprised that you mention Branston.
I thought you were firmly opposed to pickles. Branston (or mint sauce or onion sauce) is essential for completely fatless cold leg of lamb sandwiches and also, although inferior, a very acceptable emergency substitute for chutney in other desperate situations (eg, most cold meats or cheddar type cheeses).
But I would never consider corned beef as other than about tenth to twentieth choice for a sandwich (1: crispy bacon on white bread, no butter, with apple chutney or brown sauce; 2: tinned salmon with cucumber in vinegar; 3: cheese omelette with apple chutney; 4: peanut butter and pickled beetroot) But cb is good once a year in a potato hash (with a suet crust pastry top and accompanied by beetroot in vinegar). And all right in the dominoes match version with potato in a short crust pie.

I suppose a pair of pants all started with a pair of trousers being an upward extension of a pair of boots?

I think lateral thinking is much less of a timewaster than all this rubbish about Smileys and Firefoxes and that! Given freedom of choice I would spend most of my time watching insects crawling up grass.

End of grump.

Anonymous said...

What the caption to your Atlantic picture actually says is:
“Queen Mary 2
April 01 2007 13.18 GMT”. (not "Queen Mary 2 April")
And, although in winter the time in the Atlantic would be 0 to 5 hours BEHIND us, GMT itself is just one hour behind, now that we are on British Summer Time.

Hope that clears it up.
Because it IS important.

Anonymous said...

Anon 1 - Well I like your Smileys and so do the kids so thank you. We generally use IE6/7 but also have Firefox so I'll go see what I can find!
Am at present eating a Red Leicester cheese, lettuce and marmite sandwich on brown bread - very tasty...