Monday, April 09, 2007

Markeaton Park - Picnic - Willows - Ducks

I think a proper title for this is "Photographer at Work". It is of course Sky taking the Iron Bridge pictures, one of which I 'blogged' and the grandad with the tripod is about halfway up on the left. Not sure if David or Helen took it but it is a jolly good photograph.

And it is now stored in Picasa Web Albums who automatically store online anything I publish in my blog. So they are all safely in the big google computer up there in cyberspace.

The proposed photography jaunt fell through but I joined David & everybody at Markeaton Park for a few hours. It's in Derby and I used to motorcycle past each day on my BSA Bantam when I worked for Barclays. It has changed a lot, but for the better and the weather was great, bright and sunny. I parked myself outside a cafe with a mug of tea till they found me, all of us having arrived around the same time. Super presents for grandad - a colourful model of the peacock, a green frog and chickens and cholcolate eggs etc. The place soon filled up and there were thousands of children; all well-behaved and having a good time. Playgrounds, golf, a lake with ducks and willow trees, working little steam-trains, a train-bus - I'm sure I've missed smething but I'm sure you have a picture. And Helen brought a picnic - my love of a picnic is known, and we all enjoyed it. In fact things don't come much better for Grandads

This bridge is across Ashbourne Road and it used to be quite remarkable. All bright and shiny and immaculate paintwork. Nearly everything you can see is cast-iron. There's only the bridge now the railway being defunct and it has been allowed to deteriorate quite badly. Such a shame.

Sorry about the blogger glitch yesterday. When the duplication of part was pointed out to me I checked my 'master copy' and it was duplicated there too. So I've just deleted it. I can't think of an explanation and recently there have been far fewer glitches than there used to be.

Tomorrow morning I collect Y from TJ's and I hope Millicent's party was a success. Then we are meeting Bungus who wants to photograph DayBrook Laundry before it is demolished then we are to have an in-depth look at The Market Square while Y trams it down to the Station to book her next ticket. It's all go 'innit?

The sun was so bright today it's caught my nose. Hope nobody else got burnt - you don't really expect it in April.

I think a pot of tea, the crossword, some radio and a general mess-about now, before bedtime.

I thought I would share the 'bovine sheep-dog' with you again. A bit bigger this time for better scrutiny and jumping the other way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful day until this evening when my neighbour decided to try to set fire to one of our apple trees by burning the fence which I put up in 2000 (on his boundary) to stop my dog going onto his garden.
I am fairly sure that he will have destroyed the gooseberry bush, blackcurrant and raspberry canes which I put in a couple of weeks ago. Unusually we exchanged a few words (a ‘discoarse’? – see below). It seems it was my fault for not agreeing to him altering the legal requirements of a Remedial Notice.
There will be trouble from Sandra if his two Alsatians now come the other way. Camera at the ready, methinks.

I am sort of relieved that the blogger glitch came from source. I still cannot fathom why the comments suddenly apopeared on the blog page itself – I have not been able to replicate it.

I have no reason to think that DayBrook Laundry is to be or has been demolished. It just seems a likelihood as it must date from the 1930s and, to my knowledge, is one of the very few examples in Notts of the architecture of that period.
I look forward to seeing the new Slab Square, having heard such varying opinions (and that’s just from RadioG!).

Not immediately picking up an aberrant spelling in yesterday’s comment (ie: ‘course ‘ for ‘coarse’) led to my missing an opportunity to coin a new word, viz: ‘discoarse’ (n. a formal expression in questionable taste).