Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bradgate Park - Little Cooler - Bright Sky

Yet another outing ! This time to Bradgate Park with Reg and Mike. Roy is on holiday in his caravan and I don't know about the other regulars.

Cooler, 12C and with a chilly breeze, but lovely for all that. It's years since I've been there. We used to go when Stewart's children were the same age as ours i.e. 7 to 11 or thereabouts.

A nice trip and the light was good for some pictures. It came and went a bit but it often does. Part of the magic. Picture 1 is, as some of you know, well into my well -starred category. A diagonal of trees, proper tinkly water (not the candy-floss stuff which seems so in vogue) and dappled shade - like a 'brinded cow' as Hopkins had it and I never fail to mention. I was trying to reach the Deer Park Café but it proved too far. But I thoroughly enjoyed the bit I did. I insisted that Reg and Mike walk off ahead. They would have dawdled with me but it doesn't seem right that they should. We have each other's mobile numbers should I fall over or something. Although my ankles have gone into army-gaiter mode I consider it a small price to pay.

There are many many stumps which seem photographable. Some will make good black & whites.

This one almost has a personality, rather like a Henry Moore.

But that is quite enough photography and art because not all my readers are as enamoured as I am.

We shall look forward to Jill's cruise on the Queen Victoria, to the Canaries. If there is a webcam on board perhaps she and Ro could stand in front of it so that we can see them ! Both the QM2 and my Peak District webcams seem on the blink today. One says 'site suspended' and the other says something I don't understand like 'error parsing mode' or similar. Perhaps they have pulled the 'google plug' out. When I have time I'll trawl the google homepage addons and see if there are any substitutes.

I say 'when I have time' because a visit to Long Eaton is planned for tomorrow, then it's camera club. And I have e-mails to deal with and I must pay attention to my new NottsNarpo website which has a forum. Several people have registered who are pleased I am 'still with us' but they have nom de plumes so I've still to unearth their IDs. I wouldn't be suprised if some pedant doesn't say that should be noms de plume if it is to be anglicised. I never understood French possessive cases anyway.

Just spoken to Y and she has finished the crossword. I'm barely halfway there - but she has had more time perhaps.
A serious kip is called for I think. Catch you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Certainly a chilly day, in spite of the sun. A bit like a room with an open fire; hot at the front, cold at the back.

Although less addicted than the blogmaster to things photographic, I think the stump is absolutely terrific; and so ripe for fungal growth (love me, love mycology). It has all the character of an ancient Native American.

I am pretty sure it should be ‘noms des plumes’ but I am no expert linguist. I do think it is important though.

I did know the difference between the Spanish and Native Bluebells, It is just that (like you, it seems, but less confident in my incorrectness *) I cannot remember which is which.
I have googled to check (don’t trust anybody) and find that it is the ENGLISH that is ‘one-sided’, the SPANISH ‘all round’; the ones in our garden are, unfortunately, either Spanish or Hybrid.
(* When ’12 Angry Men’ is mentioned I still see the face of Glenn Ford, not Henry Fonda – but I am no longer eager to bet on it!)

Apparently there is a dearth of bees, both honey and bumble; hives and nests are being deserted.
One theory is that mobile phones are throwing the insects' SatNav out of kilter, rendering them unable to find their way home.
I can remember nights like that.