Saturday, April 21, 2007

EPS Exhibition - Shopping - Y returns

Both pictures today are by way of being "just to check" efforts.

Up to this morning I have had my D80 settings at Ken Rockwell's guide recommendations of vivid+, highly saturated, high contrast. And overnight I wondered if it could be a contributory cause to my over-the-top image colours. I accept what Brian says about my printer needing attention but I thought I would try and tone things down a bit.

Thursday's lecturer and the quality of his colour work influenced my decision to go through the appropriate menus and set more reasonable values. One man's meat if anothers poison as they say. Both of these were taken around 6.30am so there wasn't much light anyway. But the flower-bed outside the front window looks positively muted when compared with earlier versions. I'll give it a week or two and review the situation. It is easy enough to alter things from shot to shot but if I did that I would inevitably become confused. Not a hard result to achieve these days !

I did the necessary shopping quite early and then went to Kimberley to help hang the Eastwood Photographic Society's Annual Exhibition. Even though there were enough 'willing hands' part of the exhibition had to go on a wall directly in front of people working on computers. We tried to minimize the disruption and all were good-natured about it. Good straightforward Erewash Valley folk to the core. Trevor tackled the difficult job of climbing on the computer people's work-space and Reg did most of the step-ladder work with Tim. As Exhibition Secretary Lesley acted as President of the Hanging Commttee. My role was assistant steps monitor and deputy drawing-pin carrier. Good fun though and the end result looks great. Cracking pictures which are a credit to the Club.

Y arrived at Phoenix Park promptly, even 10 mintes early, because she had got off the train and straight onto a tram. The train was full of football hooligans but she was able to transfer to 1st Class for £6 and had a great journey. She had to rush and the tram door was just closing as she arrived at it, causing her to nearly fall into the tram. A group of 'hooligans' immediately stopped being hooligans and became most solicitous for her welfare. Then one gave up his seat for her and, when she was safely seated, they resumed 'hooliganning'. Bless 'em. 'Books' and 'covers' spring to mind.

When we arrived home I cooked fish, chips and peas, and in my case with loads of salt and vinegar. Later we had a sandwich for tea.

Re 'comments' on yesterday's blog. Believe me Bungus. If I can find a stump giving a two-fingered salute I shall certainly grab it.

n.b. for new readers. 1/ if you want to see a picture full size just click it. 2/ if you feel moved to add a comment, and they are always welcome, click on 'comments' right at the bottom and a window will open in which you can write.

I think we might go clubbin' tonight. Or watch the telly or read. It's a close thing. The crossword is completed. Y never finds Saturday's too difficult and finished it in no time in spite of a minor obstacle course I had created with 2 wrongly completed answers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://yarnstorm.blogs.com/knitbloghave a look here for some great flower photos - scroll down a bit too! Bungus, put your shades on.....

Graham, your wife is jolly good at the crossword, I've only done about half (and think one of those is wrong). I have finished it only once this week.

Anonymous said...

Off topic - me again, have a look on e-bay, my seller ID is libertyknit, I turned out a lot of knitting yarn. Am amazed at what it is fetching - shall be doing some more turning out in the future......

Anonymous said...

You will not be surprised to learn that I prefer more muted efforts. Brickwork terracotta rather than scarlet, the ‘Bell’ less startlingly yellow.
I like pic 1; nice atmosphere. And pic 2 strikes me as more the real thing (without being a great photo – which was not your aim anyway).
And as Alan Bennett said about confusion: “Life is rather like a tin of sardines - we're all of us looking for the key.”

Glad you didn’t have to mount the step ladder and hover over the computers. I have no doubt that you were a deputy drawing pin carrier extraordinaire.
But isn’t there something sinister about the title ‘President of the Hanging Committee’ (even when, or perhaps moreso, when it is ‘Acting’).
My dictionary indicates that ‘more so’ is two words; I prefer it as one, rather like your nasty ‘abit’.

I like to believe that the solicitous behaviour shown by the ‘hooligans’ towards Yvonne is more typical than the more usually perception. Less newsworthy of course, except in rare cases where they stop 'hooliganning' to deliver a baby or something.
I reckon they’re generally just noisy, exuberant, show offy lads out for a good time (who don’t appeal to the Italian police). I remember it well.

I hope you have recovered from your night of debauchery (or telly and cocoa). For once I like the dancing icon. I watched it several times.

I can't wait to hear some of Jill's knitting yarns. I expect lottsa tangled webs and that.