Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Nails Day - 17C - Frantini's - Flowers

As always when we go to Carlton Hill for Y's 'nail service' the weather is lovely and today was no exception. Blue sky, little puffy clouds and 17C and at most, a gentle breeze.

While Y was in the chinese place having stilted conversations but excellent attention I went to our favourite Italian Bistro for coffee. When I said we would be returning for lunch he was more than willing for me to run a tab. I sat outside and my coffee was 'supremo' well worth driving 15 miles for.

Then I did my usual close examination of the 3 charity shops but came away empty handed. In the DIY shop a chap tried to charge me £6.95 for a pack of 4 rechargeable AAA batteries (for Sky's camera) but I declined. They aren't more than a fiver in Currys. I'm not a mean man but the price seemed excessive. Y found it difficult to believe that I hadn't bought a single thing when she joined me. We both plumped for salad. They plate-up a delightful italian salad and you pick your protein from an attractive bar. Boringly, in an Italian Restaurant, we both selected the coronation chicken. It was delicious though. Although Picture 1 shows it empty by 12noon it was full.

When we returned home the garden looked so attractive I nipped round and took enough pictures for this collage. They are so easy to do in Picasa - so don't think I've been really clever.

Last night, before Y's 'Life on Mars' we watched the show I mentioned "Never mind about the full stops". It was great again. Simon Hoggart and a very sharp young lady whose name escapes me versus Angela Ripon and Stuart Hall who has mch more about him than I expected from a sports-commentator. I apologise for sounding patronising but he is 'erudite' and quick.

As you would expect Julian Fellowes chaired it with charm.

They knew that the "Offing" was something to do with the sea but they didn't know the full meaning which made me feel suitably pompous.

The QM2 has left New York for St. Thomas and we are back to boring old seascapes. It would be nice if you could see the skyline but you can't quite. And the Moon has gone through "Waning Gibbous" to "Waning Crescent 41% of full". I think I now have as much information as I am likely to need about the Moon, perhaps even too much. And I'm going to 'delete' and substitute something more exciting.

Picnic on Monday, Italian Restaurant today, got to be a cheese and lettuce sandwich for tea I think. Be healthy and go for a walk this evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a pleasant looking ‘ristorante’ (50 years ago, one of the best things about Tripoli was the caffs). I really must get you to take me there (Carlton , that is, not Tripoli)some time (no rush). Perhaps I could have my nails done as well?

Very unlike you not to have found some second-hand ‘must have’ items.
I get my batteries online from ’Uniross’ and have been very satisfied..

What pretty flowers. And when the ManxIslander sees how clever you are, won’t he be jealous?

Yes, you do sound patronising about sports commentators and it is good that you recognise it!
I should think most of them have decent degrees, like many footballers (for instance). Not all of THEM think with their boots and their balls. Going way back, Liverpool’s Steve Highway was a university graduate as well as Irish international and Chelsea's Frank Lampard is an ex Public Schoolboy who had the choice of a glittering professional future (and still has, I suppose, should he wish) but also had the talent to earn a fortune on the football field. Which would you do?
I’m not talking about 'The Norm' of course – he’s still playing for Boston reserves and spending his few quid on ale like any good stereotype. He knows all about "Offing".

In case anyone doesn’t know, Sandra recently discovered how the date of the ‘moveable feast’ at Easter is fixed each year. Apparently Good Friday is the Friday following the first full moon after 25th March. I didn’t know that and I am sure it will come in very useful.

Chees and lettuce again, hey? Don’t you live the high life?
I had beans on toast.