Sunday, April 08, 2007

Noisy Wind - 16C - TJ for Lunch -

I seem to remember that I half-promised 'ducks' from Rufford so here they are. On close examination there seems to be a shark approaching immediately to the rear of the centre Swan. But I'm sure if there was one living in Rufford Lake I would have heard about it.

Picture 2 is just a tree in Rufford Park which I thought would look good in B & W. If I knew what tree I would have identified it. Willows, Beech, Oak, Limes and Poplars I'm OK with and Horse/Sweet Chestnut but I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps one of our arboricultural correspondents wouldn't mind suggesting a name. I know that David's Helen loves trees but how she is with IDs I don't know. They have now returned from their caravan holiday and I am promised more pictures, including Blist Hills museum.

Y is over at Burton Joyce tomorrow for Millicent's party and I am going out with some photochums for an hour or two, so I might ring Long Eaton and see if we can arrange a time when it would be convenient for me to pop over and deliver Brooke's 'book-chair'. But it probably won't work out and I have plenty to do here anyway.

It wasn't my intention to copy Bungus's lunch menu but I also cooked a Gammon Joint. However mine was boiled not baked, though I did use a Delia 'foolproof' for 'leeks in white sauce'. The way Delia makes no concessions has always appealed. Sweat the leeks in butter she says, and then right at the end - stir in the remaining ounce of butter. No wonder it was pronounced 'delicious'. I fell for Delia many years ago when she was just a slip of a girl on the telly. She was cooking a cheese dish which involved grating the cheese and when she had done enough she put her hand up inside the grater to get out the remaining shreds. I thought "this lady actually cooks" not like people who recommend a 6lb leg of Spring Lamb in the first week in April!!

As it is TJ's favourite form of potato I did some mashed, with chopped chives therein. Bungus will be relieved to learn that I used 8 chive-leaves. He never lets me forget and I'm sure he will enlighten you all. That will do about the food because TJ will shout 'boring'.

I hope Matt won't mind me using one of his cartoons again. I keep meaning to write and ask him, because my Blog isn't a commercial venture and I don't do it more than a few times a year. But sometimes it's difficult to resist because he just hits the spot. As in this one.

Thanks Jill for the info re the Culture Show but we missed it. Didn't know there was to be a piece about Nottingham. Y also is a keen 'Life on Mars' watcher.

I think that Anon 1 and Bungus are right about 'bound for New York' as against 'bound to' even though Anon's husband makes a good point with 'outward bound to'. There is another meaning as well as 'bound to happen' etc., and that is 'Pythias the slave was bound to Octavia'. And didn't apprentices used to be 'bound to' etc.? Nice discussion anyway, I enjoyed it.

Whatever, the ship is at sea again. More boring water. But apparently many 'cruisers' never look outside anyway - they just 'scoff' all day. Which would'nt suit me at all, at least, not weightwise. The 'Orlistat' seems to be having an effect and I've lost almost a stone. Still plenty to go at though and I don't look as if I'm wasting away. The instructions in the packet say 'One three times a day, with meals and no snacking in between. And no cholcolate, sweets, iscuits etc.' As Lisa astutely pointed out "Well that's a diet, isn't it?"

The sunsets have moved round to the rear of the house, more or less due west, which is fun because they aren't obscured by the large conifers. Pictures will follow....

Photography day tomorrow. Weather forecast reasonable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tree looks like an oak or a beech to me; but I would want to see a leaf to be sure.

I expect our leeks are much the same as those in Brinsley white sauce although ours were organic (?). We decided to try a ‘box’ delivered to the door. We decided not to try another.
The baked ham was delicious – Sandra boils it first, covers it with marmalade or something then bakes it for 40 minutes. Delicious (probably a Delia recipe). To cater for her own dietary need she had a half pound of peeled prawns plus a kilo in their shells but the seven of us easily ate all those as a starter (even the ones who had soup). And again, because of Sandra, we didn’t have the Potatoes Ana, just plain new ones boiled. It was all very good indeed.
The story is: I was once at Grahams and he was making soup.
“Anything I can do to help?”
“That’s kind of you. Just go and fetch me two chives from the garden, please.”
Two chives!!” I told Sandra whan I got home. She still rolls on the floor clutching her stomach when she thinks about it.

The bit about Nottingham on the Culture Show concerned film making and was, I thought, neither very interesting nor informative.

'Tied' or 'apprenticed' is another legitimate but essentially different use of ‘bound’, of course. But not in the dictionary because it is a past participle of the verb ‘to bind’.
And I think I would say ‘Outward bound FOR’.
Oh, what scholarship!

Segueing on: I had an interesting philosophical thought the other day. I suppose it’s ‘physics’ and in a sense also relates to Ocean Liners.
If one submerged oneself in water with a full bladder and then urinated (I reckon we must all have done it at some time) would the level of the water rise? I reckon if one was floating it wouldn’t, but in a bath it would.
I recall my father’s definition of a ‘gentleman’ as one who stands up in the bath to have a pee.
I do hope that little discourse is neither too ‘course’ nor ‘dis’.
I also recall Peter Alvey ,who writes material for various comedians, writing:
“Favourite Things: ‘One Liners’ (like the Titanic!)”

Oddly enough, the 'Orlistat' seems to be working for me too (by osmosis?). I’ve lost four pounds without doing anything.

Anonymous said...

PS
Is it just me or has everyone got ane-and-a-half times the Sunday blog? ie, from the title down to 'slip of a girl on the telly.' repeated?

I have also had the strange appearance of blog commnets following the actual blog (ie, on the same page) (Saturdays). This effect has now disappeared. Anybody know how I did it? (it is useful because you can read straight down from the particular day's blog to the comments below).