Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Bluebells at Clumber - WoW - 20C

With the Wednesday Walker's I set off for Clumber sometime after 10.15am and as there was only Roy and Reg this week we all went in my car.

Part of the purpose of the trip was bluebell pictures and the bluebells certainly were lovely but not a single one of mine really pleases me. I shall be interested to see how Reg fared. Roys will be very different because he was using infra-red film. I've told them both that I would be delighted to 'blog' pictures from either of them. If they fancy world-wide publication that is !

Well we do have readers all over and I was fascinated to read Anon 1's comment that she could see QM2 going past, from one of her upstairs windows. Lucky her. We might collect a comment from someone who has sat and watched Old Faithful spout in Yellowstone. I've just checked the PeakDistrict webcam at 7.50pm and it's getting dark there already. Some of the worldwide webcams have pictures of remarkable quality, others are a little dim and boring. It's a hobby in itself though. And we would love to visit the Swannery - I didn't know that such a place existed.

Re Bungus's comment that I have filched his idea about storing potatoes in the 'fridge. I don't remember his mentioning it but maybe I heard him subliminally and then claimed it as my own. Sorry. Anyway, it works.

If the bluebell pictures didn't fire me with pleasure I was more pleased with this pathway. Traditional elongated 'S' curve following Hogarth's 'Line of Beauty'.

Just for reference, the Hogarth self portrait (lower down) with his faithful old pug Trump has always been a favourite. And it shows his 'Line of Beauty' on his palette. Both those little pictures should be clickable, the portrait particularly because at its present size you can't see what I'm talking about. The other thing, to the left, which says 'VARIETY' under it, was one of his teaching aids. So, if you are ever asked why photographs look good when their construction is an elongated 'S' , you now know something of its history.



We seemed to spend the morning ignoring silly signs saying things like 'Pedestrian Access only' when there was clearly a road for cars, and 'No Exit to A614' when there was, and 'Road Closed and No access to Ravenshead' all of which we ignored in a lordly manner and found our way effortlessly to The Bird in Hand at Blidworth where the statutory 'chip butty' was consumed.

Y had gone down Nottingham for a mooch when I got home and she mentioned The British Landscape by John Davies, to Carol at Bromley House. Apparently she wrote it all down with enthusiasm and went on the net and found it at Amazon. So we might be in luck. Y trammed back to Phoenix Park from where I collected her. When we got home I cooked a chicken and Prawn curry, with a Basmati and Wild rice mix. It was really ace and for pudding we finished off Y's jelly, each with a dollop of Greek Yoghourt; my we do know how to live.

Y at Burton Joyce tomorrow. Hannah is away camping so Miles and Millicent will get a little extra. I have my camera-club in the evening. And don't ask me what a Hurricane in flight has to do with it. 'Cos I don't know. Sleep tight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anon 1 - Just a quickie to let you know that the swannery is near Weymouth, Dorset, a google search brings up quite a lot of interesting information. We've visited Abbotsbury several times during holidays to Dorset and it always makes a lovely day out for all ages.
Maybe more later, off to watch the Liberty of the Seas depart!

Anonymous said...

I can understand your disappointment at the blueball pic. Fine as a record photo but somehow lacking. I’d say (humbly of course) that it needs a shaft of sunlight or something to lift it (see comment below on other pic).

I once went on a boat trip in Southampton to view one of the earlier Queens in harbour. As we sailed around it, the onboard guide told us the length, beam, height, tonnage, number of passengers and crew, amount of fuel used, maximum knots, etc and ended up saying “.. and the easiest way to distinguish this, the Q Elizabeth, from the Q Mary is that this one has only two funnels.”
Then somebody said, “But it’s got three.”

For potatoes in the 'fridge I actually made a ‘loop’ recording and secretly installed it in a microscopic device no bigger than a dust mite beneath your pillow. But it wasn’t my idea; Sandra heard or saw it suggested somewhere – Jock Stein or Oliver Twist or some other celebrity chef I should think.

I like the path picture. Apart from the curve, the bright pale green (lime? apple?) sits beautifully.
I believe I am right that the ‘Line of Beauty’ is an ogee curve, introduced into architecture by the Greek cornice (although perhaps the Egyptians also used it?)
If that summary is incorrect in any respect I have no doubt that I shall be told! (and quite right too). ي

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.