Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Cloudy - Nottingham - 13C but feels Colder

This is a view of yesterday's Bridge looking upwards from under it and I hope it conveys a feeling of the strength. It was built in 1878 when they built things to last.

My Gran would have been 11 that year. We go back a long way we radiogandys but, strangely enough, the current popular interest in genealogy does nothing for me. My love of life is all about 'now' and 'the future'. I know about the past of people I can remember but distant ancestors are entitled to RIP.

Picture 2 is of some graffiti/mural/fresco? which has appeared on the side of a house on Wilkinson Street, Sherwood which is en route to Tracy's. She is always at pains to stress that she doesn't live on Wilkinson Street but on an avenue off, at the posh end. I added the last bit by the way not TJ.

I couldn't find anywhere convenient to park for a better photograph but again, it should convey the idea. Whether the occupants are pleased or furious I've no idea. It probably isn't destined for The National Gallery but I like it. It's cheerful, colourful and more pleasing than bare brick.

It doesn't 'fork any lightning' as Dylan Thomas put it but it has involved careful work and planning. Which reminds me - I haven't had any luck with tracking down Pete (Manxislander)'s poem - but I haven't given up yet!

After collecting Y we went to Sainsburys for essential supplies and then met Bungus in the Vale. Talk about serendipity! We pulled up outside Daybrook Laundry which is an example of 1930s architecture that Bob has long admired, just as a chap was letting himself in through the padlocked front gates. Bob nipped out to find that the chap had worked there for 40yrs and was happy to let Bob take photographs inside the compound. He also told him lots of stuff about the building and that an archive is to be set up in the old Home Brewery building across the road. One family owed both apparently.

The we went down to Old Market Square and Bob found himself in the Y camp i.e. distinctly under-whelmed. The light was poor but the kids were fooling around happily in the water features and the square itself was extremely busy. Jacobs were able to sell me a 'reversing ring' for my 50mm lens which will enable me to do close-up close ups. Examples will surely follow. Then eventually we took Bob to the Hucknall Tram terminal because he fancied 'tramming' back into Nottingham to catch his bus back to Ollerton.

Y is keen to watch the finale of 'Life on Mars' and I know Jill won't be missing it. Before that we might watch 'Never mind the full-stop' I think is its title, chaired by Julian Fellows. Fortunately it's at 8.30pm so no clashes are foreseen. We still haven't sussed how to video the digital channels - we can only do terrestrial. I suspect it is that well-known computer phenomenon, a DRTFM fault. (Didn't Read The Flipping Manual) for those who don't know it. That has been made suitable for family readers.

Catch you tomorrow. Sleep tight.

p.s. the QM2 webcam is quite interesting. She looks to be moored about a 100yards from the Harbour wall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don’t know where the bridge is but it certainly looks good for a few more years!

Now I, on the other hand, am fascinated by (my) family history and the only reason I do not get deep into it is because I know I would become obsessed. And I am too busy watching those beetles climbing grass.
Oddly, other history has never interested me except when it relates to something else, in particular something which is happening now.

I know I’m wrong but I would have expected a ‘fresco’ to be outdoors (‘al fresco’) and a ‘mural’ (wall) indoors. But ‘fresco’ just means painted on fresh plaster so I think this must be a mural (although less exciting and profound and well executed than SOME graffiti). I find it decorative too, but there’s nowt wrong wi’ plain brickwok, lad!
And I think you’re trying to say that Tracey is a snob without saying it? Perhaps I am wrong?

If you care to pass on the snatch of Pete(Manxislander)'s poem, I’ll see if I can suss it out too. I know, the winner can buy the other a pint – but it must be alcoholic.

It was a marvellous stroke of luck meeting the helpful and knowledgeable gateman at Daybrook Laundry. He even offered to move his car for me to take pics. My results were disappointing but I can always revisit (if I’m quick enough, because I gather the building is due for demolition) and finding out about the proposed archive was the best bit. But it is to be in the alms houses opposite, not the brewery building.
I am sure that lots of people ‘owed’ the brewery and the laundry but only one family ‘owned’ them!

Yes, I was rather unimpressed with the new Slab Square (apart fom the water feature which is fun). I feel the old square, 1940s, 50s, 60s (probably 30s and 70s too?) was right enough and that money spent changing it twice has largely been wasted. But, as Flanders and Swann said ‘It all makes work for the working man to do’ and I am glad I have seen it.
In fact I was disappointed with the whole of the area around the square. No pubs!!! (apart from the excellent ‘Bell’) . I was about to enter one on Clumber Steet until I realised it was an ‘Amusements with Prizes’ arcade.
There used to be one pub on that street which, in the 1960s (and I don’t know how much later) had three levels of cellars below the ground floor; and the bottom one was a cockfighting ring, pristine and ready to go. I saw it.

I was then taken to visit a 60’s building designed by the most talented architect I have been privileged to work for. But, like so many intrinsically well designed, flat-roofed buildings of the period, it had not weathered too well (much less well, certainly than my own more traditionally constructed house at Fransfield which I reviewed a couple of days ago (the greatest complimentI had from a visitor was 'What did it used to be?' That and, from a wealthy pampered young woman, 'It must be wonderful to live so simply and spend all your money on foreign holidays'). The house has been somewhat (very well) altered (new windows in the old holes)) and quite considerably and tastefully extended. The changes are such that I would have been happy to have done them myself, and you can’t say n’more than that, sorry.

Then to Hucknall to experience my first (long) ride on the new (to me) tram What a pleasure! Way to go, man!

Back in Slab Square I had an hour to kill before my bus so I went back to the Old Bell and enjoyed an excellent large haddock, chips and mushy peas. Good value too, at only £5.25. The choice of draught beers was good too (I had Greene King IPA) although Wetherspoons wins on price by a considerable margin (30% to 40% cheaper?).

Then up to theatreland and a look at the Royal Concert Hall – one of my few favourite recent buildings in the city (isn’t that place with the round glazed tower 'orribly self-important?) along with the Playhouse (‘recent’? you say, ’recent’? Opened in 1963!). I speak having not seen the Inland Revenue building and many others.

But at least there is a street up there with a few attractive pubs and some decent looking eating places. I might come again after all.

Then off to the Vic Center and the bus station. Again a pleasure – bright and cheerful with an ‘al fresco’ feel about it. A real delight remembering the gloomy, depressing, even frightening, old building which seemed to be about twenty times as big? The only difficulty was finding which bay the bus left from (had to look at each in turn and , No, it wasn’t the last one! It was the one next to it); but I had allowed plenty of time so no real problem
Not a bad hour's journey home either. Certainly, because of the road surfaces, better than the Newark and Mansfield runs.

"A satisfying day and
No more to say."

Nothing like a little poem to finish (and that’s nothing like a little poem, ‘Boom, boom!).