Saturday, February 24, 2007

Weekend Off - Again ! - Mild and generally Wet

Although it has been mainly wet, there were some sunny spells, one of which produced this lovely English sky. That's prolly racist but I had a survey to fill in about our GP service (which is excellent btw) and I could only be British or Irish......they seem to be trying to get rid of us !

Some particulars arrived from an Est. Agent for a bungalow in Arnold, quite near Joan, and it seemed a 'strong possible' but it's far too early to become interested.

The OldAge Gremlins are back. I had just put 2 pieces of rump steak under a hot grill for lunch and. while my back was turned the OAG wrapped one of the pieces in cling-film. Fortunately, after a couple of minutes I pulled out the grill tray to char-grill some chunks of peppers , and was able to rectify what the bounder had done. Not satisfied with that he did more. Y picked up the outside keys, intending to put a box in the wheelie-bin then go to the garage. The OAG sneaked the keys from her hand and chucked them in the bin so that she arrived at the garage door unable to get in, and still carrying the box.!

It might be my imagination but I always think that, at this time of year, i.e. not quite Spring, the twigs and branches on the trees become more vertical and sort of perkier. Is it that the sap is rising?

Perhaps one of our arboricultural correspondents could comment. Certainly many things have leaf-buds on them and in a week or so we shall begin to see that lovely pale green shimmer to things. I must consult my newly acquired 'Hopkins' to see if he uttered on the subject in one of his diary extracts or letters. And sorry about the 'Gerald' instead of 'Gerard' - I must have still been thinking about Chaffinches. It's rectified now !

In his comment yesterday David asks, following two very witty lines, if he qualifies as a 'poet' or a 'versifier' ?

Definitely a Poet my boy !! And I publish in support a little piece he wrote when 9yrs old. I know I'm his 'fayther' as they say in Mansfield but I remember thinking how moving it was. Still do, actually !

Somewhat of a 'Paul on the road to Damascus' feel to it.

Everybody is delighted with the way the house-valuation is going and our choice of the local agent. We expected our young people to say "Oh you should have gone with a major firm" but no.

We've both been busy. I found some gloss and put a first coat on the 'room-freshener-stripped' window sill and Y has been out on the patio with a knife getting the moss from between the slabs. Hands and knees job, plus of course, the never-ending washing.

Y said this morning that I would miss my view over the footie feld but there will be a new view to know and love. If I couldn't see the sky I wouldn't be too happy. If they put me in a cell for years I would definitely go odd ! Even more? did I hear somebody say.

..See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The OAGs have been here too - I had trouble opening a new packet of rubber gloves, attacked it with the kitchen scissors and guess what, I had snipped a tiny bit off the top of two of the fingers ......

Good luck with the house selling/buying - have a son in similar situation, twice he has 'sold' his house, twice the house they want has either been withdrawn from the market or as in the last case he was gazumped. There should be an easier way - the Scottish system?

We have had new trees planted along the pavement outside our house - no idea what sort, not a leaf bud on them, and the two Estonians planting them didn't speak English. Time will tell.....

Anonymous said...

It is a very impressive sky with very distinct layers of cumulus and nimbus (I think).
Being British is probably even more annoying for Scots and Northern Irish citizens than it is for us, if that is any consolation. I am sure they must have skies as well. Although, I seem to recall that the Scots go over the sea to sky – or is it to ski?.

I make no claim to be an arboricultural expert but I have not yet noticed the sap rising. Buds, however, have certainly appeared in the last week on the willow outside our back bedroom window; I have photographic evidence as proof.

Being brutally honest, David’s poem as a 9 year old impresses me more than his more recent efforts, although the latter are appropriately Pam-parodic.

WE have obtained new views WITHOUT moving house. Amazing!

Perhaps I should explain that my ‘Nail Bar’ amusement (Fri blog) stems from Harry Hill on ‘Eastenders’. We also have a ‘nail technician’ just up the road from us, who does ‘extentions’ (sic).

Anonymous said...

I have also had one of those GP/NHS forms to fill in - I put what I always put under 'other ' - - English! I refuse to be a Brit.....