Sunday, February 11, 2007

9C - Sunny Afternoon - Messing About

It has been a warm day and a sunny aftenoon which tempted me to Moorgreen Reservoir where, as you can see in the foreground, there are still sheets of unthawed-ice. They are too tidgy to qualify as ice-floes. I thought the odds, of 4 gulls preparing to disturb 2 moorhen was a bit much. But they were too far away to 'shoo' and in anycase one shouldn't interfere with nature. Red in tooth and claw and all that.

Glad Jill's Brighton trip was a success and I would love to Blog a picture of all that lovely colourful wool. Everyone I know agrees how outrageous it was to close Schools just because of a little snow and ice. Playground slides and snowball fights are part of childhood and should not be denied to youngsters. They wouldn't dream of closing Schools in Russia, Scandinavia, Canada etc., under conditions far worse than we experience would they?

Picture 2 is not one of mine (sorry to say) but by Annie Leibovitz, of Nicole Kidman. It breaks all the rules (so called) - the subject is looking out of the frame not into it.

She's got burnt-out highlights. 'Blocked' shadows in the curtain. The little door on the left and the assorted stuff on the right would be described as 'distractions' which should be cropped out. Actually, if they were presented with the picture they wouldn't dare say any of those things. Or would they?

But "Wow" what a brilliant photograph. If you've got it, you've got it and Annie has always had it in spades. She was born in 1949 and has been highly regarded in the photography world for the past 30+ years. This picture is in an exhibition of her work in San Diego so I'm afraid I shan't be going.

When I spoke to David this morning I asked if Sky had enjoyed her 'read in bed' with the 'book-chair'. Apparently Brooke has highjacked it! Nothing for it but to order another.

...Must go, at least for the moment. E-mails etc.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Them bods is boggers, i'n't it?

Although I agree wholeheartedly about school closures, it is, no doubt, a Health & Safety issue. Not an entirely new concept.
According to a contemporary report in one of the Mansfield local papers, my great-uncle Joe Baggaley (brother of my maternal grandmother Ellen Strutt, known as Nelly) who lost a hand and had a hook for fighting with (and became a stone mason with his brother’s firm Herbert Baggaley & Sons of Mansfield and survived a fall from a roof in his 80s) was fined £5 for making a slide on the pavement of Belvedere Street in the winter of (about) 1885, when he was 15.
I rely on memory but the basic facts are correct because I read the Court Report of the case, reprinted in the Chad on the 100th anniversary.


As you say, a beautiful picture of Nicole Kidman.
I am all for subjects looking away from the camera anyway but, although I have little doubt that I am wrong (because it adds intrigue) I suspect I would have cropped out the door.

Anonymous said...

OCCURRENCES
1) Referring to our shared reluctance to throw away food:
Because of dietary restrictions, Sandra has been eating about 4 oz supermarket hummous a day and I therefore decided to make a batch myself. Imagine my dismay when instructed to throw a away a half jar of perfectly sound tahini simply because the use-by date was 12/05/2002. I was further obliged to spend £1-09 at Waitrose on a new jar.

2) A character in Foyle’s War (ITV3, Sun 11 Feb) referred to a ‘penny hay-penny’. Perhaps it is regional terminology; in Mansfield it was always ‘three ‘ay-pence’.