Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Global warming - suspended - 2C

Keen frost during the night and a beautifully crisp morning. Even google admitted to -2C but there was no wind so it was a pleasure to go out.

We went out quite early because it was a Karen morning and our absence lets her zoom about. I needed some underbed storage boxes and a little bag for Brooke, so that she has something when Sky gets her 'book-chair'. No problems with the storage boxes but the bag needed visits to several possible shops. In the end we found just the thing in Peacocks for £4. I know the clothes leave much to be desired but for some things 'not paying a lot' is a sensible criteria. Also, in the cheap shop in Heanor. I stocked up a 'fat-balls' for the birds and actually bought a large plastic bucketful containing 50 for £6.45. The best bargain elsewhere is 6 for a £1.

While I was in there I spotted these 'dried meal worms' which apparently Robins love. I shall report back.

I also wanted a replacement small thermos flask. Of the old fashioned glass inner type, rather than the stainless steel inners which, in my opinion, don't keep things hot as long. Again - many shops - Woolworths was the answer. I went to the butchers to stock up, and told Peter how good the rump steak had been. We also bought some lamb chops for lunch which we had with charlotte potatoes, carrots, and sugar-snap peas. Plus of course mint-sauce. Great success.

Some feed-back from yesterday's camera-obscura picture. 'Manxislander' Pete blogged a 'comment' containing a link to the big Camera Obscura building on Douglas Head. I have sought his permission to 'blog' it because it will be of interest to the readership. Likewise with a lovely picture from Bungus of The White Swan at Drakeholes which my research tells me was an early Roman station.

Re my birds, we had a greenfinch this morning. The first I have seen for some months. It's Mansfield Chapter National Trust this evening. The first Tuesday in the month seems to arrive so quickly. Our subject is to be Bolsover Castle which Y has been to but I haven't, even though it is so close. Hopefully there will be slides, or even a Powerpoint presentation ! Whatever, it will be nice to see everybody and I shall have to get my raffle-ticket stub folding technique smartened up. Some nice ladies usually take pity though. But Y is the acknowledged Queen of raffle-ticket selling and we feel they must be folded before the lecturer begins - so as not to be an off-put.

Two other things before closing. Y feels that computers are an 'invention of the devil' - she may be right, but I am absolutely 'sure' ring-pull cans are. They frighten me to death - Am I alone?

....Hope everybody has a good night...............

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a blue plastic gadget from Lakeland, made by Culinaire and called something like Magi-pull' - this is brilliant, and I am no longer scared by ring-pull cans......

We had a greater-spotted woodpecker in our garden today - only about the 5th time I've seen one in the garden during the 38 years we have lived here, though I have seen them much more frequently in Chiswick House Grounds, about half a mile away.

Anonymous said...

I recall being impressed by the camera obscura in Edinburgh which no doubt can be Googled.
No Romans at Drakeholes today but a good carvery for £7. My 3 companions were all impressed by the lamb shank which I would go a long way to avoid; but the sausage and liver casserole was very tasty (other choices included a couple of roasts, a pork casserole, chicken & leek pie, a vegetarian bake). Anyone interested should just Google ‘White Swan at Drakeholes’ (I Feel Lucky) for the phone number and post code (to get a route).

Sandra would agree with Yvonne’s opinion of computers although she has to make use. I can understand where they are coming from.
I rather like ring pulls on tins of beans etc; if they are awkward I just push the handle of a wooden spoon through, and lever to get it started. I have far more trouble with the lids of jars.