Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Mansfield Court House - Tesco Restaurant

Not such a good photo as yesterday's goldfinches but today the chaffinches appeared accompanied by cousin sparrow. I wrote a poem once which began "The Chaffinch is a dapper bird, called Gerald........." I can't remember how it continued and I certainly can't find it. But they always look so well-groomed; a sort of blazer and grey-flannels sort of bird. I think the rather blurry one on the left is Mrs. Chaffinch.

The meal-worms went down a 'storm' the in-word for 'a success' according to TJ, although it sounds just the opposite. I put a handful in the blue pottery dish and they went in minutes. Mostly the blackbirds, and I had intended them for the Robin who didn't get a look in.

I had a lovely time in Mansfield. Nice time in the Library and a nearly new book (only issued once before) about landscape photography by Joe Cornish and others, all of whom I rate. Then to W.H.Smiths etc., and finally to the CourtHouse to meet Bungus whose bus was slightly delayed due to a serious, road-blocking accident between Ollerton and Mansfield. Bob had a pint, which he needed and I had a J2O (I really am becoming the sort of person I used to avoid) and then to Tesco for the all-day breakfast. It was a good meal but, although we sat well away from the smoking-area, I was very aware of the fag-smoke drifting around. When I finally returned to the car it was lingering on my coat. If the weather is OK in the morning, before I set off for my Venice class, I shall hang it outside for an hour. Bob said he didn't notice it.

Picture 2 is a larger version of the Witch Hazel which I published before. I've tidied the background up a bit but the shrub and flowers are 'as is'. Bob showed me his new Sony compact and it looks and feels a lovely piece of kit. It sits comfortably in the hand and feels solid and reliable. He had bought it at Currys as new and when he got it home in was sans manual, said inside the box 'pre-owned' and in the memory were 2 photographs of women Bob knew nothing about. I assume they were fully clad or I'm sure he would have mentioned it. Curry's have printed off the missing manual and made him a vouchers offer. And, of course, it will remain under the same warranty as if it were new. And, as he obviously likes the camera, he has decided to keep it.

I took him over a book about PhotoShop Elements. Even if he only uses it to clone out stuff to tidy up, it is worth having in one's armoury. I picked up a copy of The Evening Post because of a big photo inside taken at Hannah's dance school in Burton Joyce. She is on the front row and looks lovely.

I've just changed head to toe, because of the lingering smokey smell. It is a fact that "there is no-one so prudish as a reformed prostitute". When I've finished this I'm heading for the shower.

...If I've forgotten to deal with 'comments' please excuse me. I'll catch up tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All sorts of people drink J2Os which does not necessarily mean they are the sort of people I want to avoid!
But it is the turncoat attitude to tobacco that worries me.
Reformed prostitute? Poacher turned gamnekeeper? I only hope that it will not display itself in other ways; turning from lawman to criminal, for instance (which could mean a transformation to a Frank ‘the Abbot’ Costello or a Bigg Ronnie); or, heaven forfend, developing an urge overtly to display his feminine side!
My view is that we are suffering far more from the output of internal combustion engines and other pollution than from passive smoking. When everybody smoked hardly anyone had asthma.
I reckon the anti-tobacco movement is just a smokescreen put up by do-gooders who want to control every aspect of our lives.
There was the reactionary owner of a small pub chain on Radio Nottingham yesterday (Tuesday) with whom I disagreed about most things (his theory is that those who used to be the ‘Reds under the Beds’ are now the Environmentalists) but I am sure he was right that, when we have all been prevented from enjoying a fag in peace, these pernicious pests will next turn their attention to prohibition (of alcohol, that is).
What a fun world it will be when that lot have done with it.
Already the nature of pubs has changed for the worse. When smoking is banned, BINGO!
I'm all for being able to get a decent pub meal at a reasonable price but perish the thought of feeling guilty about enjoying a pint or two (preferably in a smoky atmosphere).

Tesco’s breakfast was an excellent value meal in less than salubrious surroundings (although I did not notice any hint of cigarette smoke).
The staff were pleasant and attentive in a proper Mansfield manner:
“’A’yer dun wi’ this, me duck? Ah’ll tek it if yer’ave.”.
Service without servility. The only place you might get it better is in parts of Yorkshire.


I am extremely pleased to report that the women lingering in my ‘new’ camera were not naked - purdah would be preferable. Once I get the manual and know how to work it I think it is going to be a delight.
Whether I shall be able to cope with Photoshop is another matter but I am grateful for the opportunity to give it a try.

May I suggest a bonfire to get rid of the lingering odour of cigarette smoke... (which reminds me of alternative lyrics to ‘These Foolish Things’, a song which would never have been penned without tobacco. And what about the classic Bette Davis / Charles Boyer scene in ‘Now Voyager’?)