Thursday, February 15, 2007

12C - Mount cutting - Alex and Fence

This 'photograph of photographs' isn't brilliant but it will convey an idea of my panel for the competition this evening. The rules ask for 4 pictures of different genres or techniques i.e. you can't enter 4 portraits if you happen to be good at them. So I'm hoping that the portrait, the sports, the sunrise, and the interior church door by flash, will fill the bill. I've marked on the backs that they must go on the easel together and in this order. Because I like Lisa looking inwards, the white-water shot moving right, the sunrise pointing back to the centre, and finally the old church door to leave by. ! I guess that if you've followed the Blog you will have already seen them. Hard to believe but the Blog has its first aniversary next month !

Y returned on time, tired but happy, and she's gone off to Burton Joyce for more granny duty today. So I dropped her at the tram as usual, but we are both looking forward to a rest-day tomorrow.

Yesterday I bought a bevel-cutter at Maple Framing and I'm quite glad I had lost my old one because this Logan is much much better. Once I had started cutting, 'how to do it' quickly came back to me and I only messed up one mount by accidentally cutting an inward-facing bevel instead of an outer.

Picture 2 is some brave little purple crocuses just peeping through. The yellow ones have been out for some time. It isn't sharp but tomorrow I'll use my tripod.

Alex has been here all day repairing the large wind-damaged fence at the bottom of the garden. 2 whole sections needed replacing with new.

Vic finished his fence yesterday and I though "Whoopee a day free from banging" and then Alex turned up. His work-flow seems much quiter though. Perhaps its my imagination. He really is great; he takes everything to the tip in his trailer. And point-blank refuses to count such trips into his 'working time'.

A most useful 'comment' yesterday from our architectural-correspondent. About the technical term 'pile-driving' into the Venice mudflats. Previously I had mistakenly thought that a 'pile-driver' was the name of a punch in boxing, like a 'haymaker'.

....I'm off for a kip. Might be back later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are quite right to be fussy about the order of the photos. I hope such meticulous attention to detail paid off in awards.

I am debating whether the first anniversary of the blog merits a bottle of bubbly?

Glad you got your bevels sorted out.
My mother once went to evening classes to do woodwork. She made a very acceptable, but ultimately not quite strong enough, coffee table but a friend of hers made a curb (or kerb) for the hearth; unfortunately she put one of the side bits on the opposite way to the other – a sort of distorted ‘Z’ shape!

The crocuses are pretty although, being purple, Sandra would have them out immediately (before you pick me up, I mean the flowers are purple, not my wife; she would not be able to live with herself).
Oddly, the leaves to the left of the lower bloom seem to be in sharper focus?

Alex sounds a gem. And I think he hails from Ollerton? If he is in his late thirties or forties I’ll bet he knows our Simon (Jackson) who pursues, in casual fashion, a similar line of work when not putting out fires or pulling bodies out of wrecked cars.

Isn’t it amazing the little bits of knowledge we all have missing? (although I never had chance to try 'grass', I think mine mainly date from the 1960s but I am sure that some are buried deeper in history).
Nevertheless, I was amazed that anyone should not know the original meaning of ‘pile-driving’.
Perhaps I should now explain that ‘haymaker’ is not just a boxing term as it originates from the agricultural action of swinging a fork. And ‘hammer blow’ originally referred to hitting a nail (or, in Brummagem, a screw) with a hammer.
All right, so I’m a sarky sod!

Re a recent suggestion for recipes, I don't think anyone would be intersted in Nigel Slater's from last Sunday's Observer Magazine, viz, 'cabbage on toast'. Really, it's true.
On reflection, I think recipes would take up too much blogspace - more suited to email perhaps?